Puffins at Bempton

Name
Rick
Edit My Images
No
Hi
we will be in the Bridlington area this weekend and my wife would love to see the puffins. We have the binoculars with us, just not sure where’s the best place to go. I’ve been to the RSPB reserve before and seen them but I stayed all day, however we don’t have that much time on this trip.
Any advice appreciated, thanks

Hi
we will be in the Bridlington area this weekend and my wife would love to see the puffins. We have the binoculars with us, just not sure where’s the best place to go. I’ve been to the RSPB reserve before and seen them but I stayed all day, however we don’t have that much time on this trip.

All the viewing sites at the RSPB reserve are not that far from the visitor centre. I have found that the viewing site that you reach by turning left from the approach path is the best for puffins. Their nos are not great compared with other birds. Others have mentioned that Flamborough is better for puffins, but I’ll leave it to them to respond.

All the viewing sites at the RSPB reserve are not that far from the visitor centre. I have found that the viewing site that you reach by turning left from the approach path is the best for puffins. Their nos are not great compared with other birds. Others have mentioned that Flamborough is better for puffins, but I’ll leave it to them to respond.
Thanks for your help Brentor

There are usually volunteers on the viewing platforms who are usually happy to help and point them out. Enjoy and good luck!

@Phil-D seems to get good results for Puffins at Flamborough. He may have some advice.

@Phil-D seems to get good results for Puffins at Flamborough. He may have some advice.

Cheers Roger and by coincidence I'm there now :)

Hi

I'd say, for a quick visit, try the Headland.
We've been there this aft and the Puffins were showing really well.

The burrow where most of my shots came from has eroded away so they've move more over to the right when viewing from the top.

Only a record shot, but I took this today from the path between the foghorn station and the sea watch hide, there were quite a good number about.

Saying that though, it's never guaranteed, we been before, they can all be out at sea and not a Puffin in sight.

Good luck, hope they show as well as they were this aft.

20230623_160401.jpg

Cheers Roger and by coincidence I'm there now :)

I'd say, for a quick visit, try the Headland.
We've been there this aft and the Puffins were showing really well.

The burrow where most of my shots came from has eroded away so they've move more over to the right when viewing from the top.

Only a record shot, but I took this today from the path between the foghorn station and the sea watch hide, there were quite a good number about.

Saying that though, it's never guaranteed, we been before, they can all be out at sea and not a Puffin in sight.

Good luck, hope they show as well as they were this aft.

View attachment 393447
thanks Phil, going to the lighthouse Sunday so hopeful of some photos

Back