purchasing in New York

Gary

TPer Emeritus
Name
See above
Edit My Images
No
I'm thinking of popping over to NYC next week to get a lens for my camera.
Has anyone done this before? Can you recommend the best shops to get a bargain canon or nikon lens?
do i have to pay purchase tax or can i get out of it by showing my passport?

btw, i realise i have to pay duty on my way back.

You dont have to pay duty if they don't know that you've bought a new lens

Whats the point in going over there and then coming back and declaring it? You might as well pay the postage to get it shipped - postage will be cheaper than a flight over there. And you'll either pay duty and VAT or you won't dependant on how customs feel.

Is the lens you want not available from one-stop digital? they reimburse any duty and VAT you end up paying if you buy from them and their prices are generally the cheapest.

B&H photo in New York.. BUT...

Only take enough for the lens you want or you will come home skint

Free postage on everything as far as I am aware.

You could always ask Kerso what his current rate is for the 100-400, there should be some canon vouchers due out at the end of march, I got £135 off my 100-400 and only paid £880 for it from Kero so got it for £745.

Just seems a little silly to fly over there if you're not going out there for another reason anyway.

Kerso recently quoted me £870 including postage for the 100-400....

B&H is one of the Best photo outlets in the World.If you have a good friend in another State, not New York, have it sent to his or her house and pick it up there.You will not have to pay taxes or delivery charges.Sending it to UK you will have to pay shipping Charges and mabe Vat.I Pick up Photo Equipment at friends house when I am overthere.Good Luck.........................

Back