Critique Pushing ISO at Canterbury Cathedral

Name
Steve France
Edit My Images
Yes
Just took the camera for a walk around and found ourselves in Canterbury Cathedral, staff seeing the camera reminded me that whilst they encouraged photography, flash was not allowed.
It was very busy and I found myself laying on my back shooting directly up HH to get his image. Kept at 1/640 as I am a bit shaky and f8 to keep ISO at a sensible level given the lack of light.
IMHO Topaz De-noise at minimum settings has resulted in a pleasing image ?

Nikon D7500 with Nikon 24-120 f4 lens - 1/640 f8 @50mm ISO 51200

27-07-2022 Canterbury Cathedral 2.jpg

It looks ok as a whole picture to me. There's grain but I wouldn't say it makes the picture unusable, these things are subjective but for me the high ISO doesn't ruin the shot.

There are people who say they never go beyond a stated ISO but I use any up to and including the max, you can always decide if it's ok later. The shutter speed is fast but if that's what you need that's what you need but I think a wider aperture could have been used and if you weren't sure you could have taken several pictures at for example f8, f5 or 5.6 and f4 and kept the best one.

I don't think that there is anything wrong with the image quality, however I think that these shots need some sort of symmetry and that's lacking here IMHO. :)

I like it, I see symmetry, and I like the angle off centre to see more details of the windows

It looks ok as a whole picture to me. There's grain but I wouldn't say it makes the picture unusable, these things are subjective but for me the high ISO doesn't ruin the shot.

There are people who say they never go beyond a stated ISO but I use any up to and including the max, you can always decide if it's ok later. The shutter speed is fast but if that's what you need that's what you need but I think a wider aperture could have been used and if you weren't sure you could have taken several pictures at for example f8, f5 or 5.6 and f4 and kept the best one.
I don't think that there is anything wrong with the image quality, however I think that these shots need some sort of symmetry and that's lacking here IMHO. :)
I like it, I see symmetry, and I like the angle off centre to see more details of the windows
Thanks for your helpful comments, not my normal subject. I did try several shots a different settings in the short time I had before being asked not to lay on the steps !
This was the best of the bunch. There was an annoying Light/CCTV mounted on the wall that I was keen to avoid which might explain the odd angle and cutting off the top of the square. Perhaps a slight rotation would have helped.
Un Edited out of camera
27-07-2022 Canterbury Cathedral.jpg

I must admit I like the original angled picture above. It may lose out on perfect symmetry but it does have the interesting "V" :D

It’s challenging when you have bright lights or other things which get in the way. Most places open to visitors have an annoying (for photographers) habit of putting up descriptions or signs etc. :confused:

We were shooting exactly that in the cathedral last week but the figures were a far more manageable 1/320th f/3.5 ISO4000.

I think that you've slightly overegged the pudding in this case.

I'm not familiar with the Nikon D7500 and don't think myself any sort of expert but have in resent months spent time photographing similar buildings and situations ( off work with an injury) My best results have normally been to use in camera HDR to compensate for the high contrast ( bright windows/dark building) or just for dark buildings. If not available in camera you could have always taken a number of shots at plus and minus settings and blended in post ( I would have no idea how to do this) or just taken the best shot to work on. Looking at your settings I think you could have got away with a wider aperture maybe 5.6 and possibly a lower shutter speed in order to bring the iso down. That said I like the photo, as edited I think it looks really nice ! Having a film background I don't mind a bit of noise/grain !

Back