Pushing Portra 160 by one stop

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
So I have a roll of Kodak Portra 160 (35mm) that has been sat in my fridge for a little while.

I'm off to London for a couple of days away this coming weekend and thought this would be a perfect opportunity to shoot some more film. Given that we'll be doing lots of tourist type stuff, both inside and outside, I'm tempted to rate the Portra 160 at 320 or even 400 and then have it pushed one stop in the processing. Has anybody got any experience of pushing this film? Am I going to end up with a mess of muddy, underexposed shots or will it be fine? I can find loads online about pushing Portra 400 but not much about the 160 version.

I think that shooting it at 400 would be fine. I think that someone (maybe @skysh4rk ) did a test on this a while ago and it was fine shot at almost any ISO (it may have been Portra 400 though).

Portra 160 does not push very well in poorly lit condition. People expose it at 320 and push 1 stop in dev to increase contrast (it's a flat film by design) when shooting outdoor. You'd be much better off having Portra 400 or Fuji 400H if "changing ISO" on the go is your goal.

Back