Quality Photo Paper?

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys im pretty new to printing, and iv just bought an Epson R1400, and i need a decent brand of paper for printing, would love some good recommendations?

Thanks

I think the ilford galerie smooth pearl is outstanding and it's all I use

kingbob734 said:
Hi guys im pretty new to printing, and iv just bought an Epson R1400, and i need a decent brand of paper for printing, would love some good recommendations?

Thanks

gloss, pearl, etc etc

how much do you want to spend ?

what are you wanting to print?

wildings do fujifilm 270 gram at 9.29 for 40 sheets , the packets 20 sheets , but its 2 for 1

also they d0 a3 paper at the same quality , also 2 for 1 , i thinks its 19.99

cheers steve

Ilford Galerie Gold Fibre Silk 310gsm (Pigment Ink Rec.)

Ilford Galerie Smooth Gloss/Smooth Pearl 290gsm

Olmec Gloss/Satin 260gsm

If on a budget or a big job to print.....

Mirror Resin Coated Gloss 260gsm

All the above I use and are excellent papers.

I'm going to try a couple of them I think. I've recently tried Tescos own Extra Special, it wasn't really cheap and I don't like it at all :(

have a look for KIRKLAND A4 GLOSSY paper pn ebay. Thats the bog standard gloss paper I use with my R2400.

have a look for KIRKLAND A4 GLOSSY paper pn ebay. Thats the bog standard gloss paper I use with my R2400.

Is it reasonably good do you think? Hmm looks pretty cheap, well worth a look I reckon.

I've ordered a pack to try, it can't be worse than Tescos own LOL.

I use Lidl's glossy paper in my Canon 9000, great colours and cheap as chips.

You wouldn't use it for a paying customer but I print most of my pictures out on it.

At Focus I got some Harman Matt a3 paper 15 sheets for £5 and it prints beautifully.

The latest on trial is some Black diamond Canvas style printer paper of ebay again nice paper with a canvas style finish ( not actually canvas )

For final stuff for good friends I use ICI olmec paper.

BTW pigment ink is not required for gold fibre silk paper

I stand corrected Poah, I was quoting the recommended use of Galerie Gold Fibre Silk as described on the Ilford web site. Shown below....

IMAGE QUALITY ON GOLD FIBRE SILK MEDIA
For optimum quality when using Gold Fibre Silk media the use of pigment inks are recommended. If dye inks are used they will produce images with reduced colour gamut. The ILFORD ICC profiles are designed to optimise the image quality achievable from both pigment and dye inks.

Last edited:
It was their Tesco finest, 250gsm premium glossy inkjet paper. The box seems to be printed better than the paper works... on the upside their cooked chickens taste quite good and I think that's all I'll buy there now :)

How do you know, have you used it?

I have used significant amounts of paper over the years and there is very little difference between papers that are of high quality. there is not going to be anything amazing about red river papers that would make you want to import them.

I have used significant amounts of paper over the years and there is very little difference between papers that are of high quality. there is not going to be anything amazing about red river papers that would make you want to import them.

Have you used them?. I am not saying they are better or worse than any other paper but for me some of there papers are better than Epson and cheaper. Also there is a much wider choice of papers than Epson has.
Maybe with the exchange rate the way it is now you might be on to a good thing. I know I payed more in pounds in the UK for a meal than I pay in dollars at this end.

no but like I said its only paper and we have lots of choice over here

Have you used them?. I am not saying they are better or worse than any other paper but for me some of there papers are better than Epson and cheaper. Also there is a much wider choice of papers than Epson has.
Maybe with the exchange rate the way it is now you might be on to a good thing. I know I payed more in pounds in the UK for a meal than I pay in dollars at this end.

Personally, I have become a fan of the Illford Lustre Duo.
Wish they did a single sided version, as often you wouldn't want double sided, but the finish is brilliant.

I've ordered a pack to try, it can't be worse than Tescos own LOL.

The paper came ages ago but I've only tried it tonight, it's acres better than the Tesco Finest and that's with no tweaking... so thanks for the heads up :)

Go to Costco mate, Kirklands own photo paper A4, 150 sheets, 255G/M £15. Use it all the time. All the rest are just a rip off.(y)

For my input I would suggest keeping an eye on Lidl which comes on sale a couple of times a year in boxes of 50 for £4.99, it must be due sometime soon. My good lady brought in the Aldi flyer this afternoon and they have A4 glossy on this coming Sunday or maybe next Thursday I think at the same price.

I got hold of a hardly used R1800 earlier this year and now Im hooked on printing A3 Luste paper which I get from http://www.photopaperdirect.com

They also supply a range of A4 gloosy papers worth a look

You might also consider a CISS thus avoiding gold prices of Epson ink
Regards
Bob

Danny said:
Go to Costco mate, Kirklands own photo paper A4, 150 sheets, 255G/M £15. Use it all the time. All the rest are just a rip off.(y)

+1 I use it for all the A4 and 10x8 prints I do at home and am really pleased with it. Great value for money just a pity they don't do it in 7x5.

Back