Question about lens f/stops

Name
Sean
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm not exactly new to photography, and have researched pretty much everything a fair bit, but there are still a few things I'm not quite sure about.

First up, lens f/stops. I'm talking about the number in the name. For example, the 'Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS' lens compared to the 'Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L USM' lens. I'm assuming, the lower number, the more light the lens can take in, which means you can use higher shutter speeds and aperture because the lens is more sensitive to light/the lens works better in low light conditions?

Second, if I got the above correct, what do f/stops mean when, say for example the 'Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM' lens, with a 'varying f/stop' number?
I'm assuming at 28mm the f/stop is 3.5 whereas at 135mm the f/stop is 5.6?

Everything you say is correct. :)

except to be a bit picky, the faster lenses are not more sensitive to light but in effect, take bigger gulps of it in the same amount of time than a slower one. (y)

except to be a bit picky, the faster lenses are not more sensitive to light but in effect, take bigger gulps of it in the same amount of time than a slower one. (y)

Not far off then :p

Seems I didn't need to ask the question hehe.

So, third question, why (in general) do telephoto lenses have higher f/stops than wide angle lenses?

Not far off then

Close enough to poke it in the eye with a very short stick. ;)

As for Q3, it's the ratio of lens diameter to length that determines the f stop. Fast teles need huge bits of glass that are only topped in their weight by their cost.

To keep it simple - if the lens had a focal length of 6 inches and the diameter of the aperture with the lens wide open was 3" you'd have an f2 lens. If the diameter was 6 inches you'd have an f1 lens.

Obviously the longer the focal length gets the bigger that front lens element needs to be, (to be a 'fast' lens) and the more difficult it gets to pick the thing up, or be able to afford it! :puke:

so a 500mm f/2 lens would need an aperture of 25cm
that's a shed load of glass!

That's why you just don't get 500mm lenses that fast, the cost, not to mention the weight, starts to get prohibitive.

I think your figures might be out ( I hate metric) 25cm is around 5". I think it would be nearer 8" (To be an f2)

That's why you just don't get 500mm lenses that fast, the cost, not to mention the weight, starts to get prohibitive.

I think your figures might be out ( I hate metric) 25cm is around 5". I think it would be nearer 8" (To be an f2)

25cm is about 10" ;)

er 500mm/2 is 250mm in anybody's money :thinking:

Back