Question about the OM4Ti

Name
Julian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hiya,
My trusty old OM-10 has finally bitten the dust with a faulty winding mechanism, and with it being only an OM-10 it's cheaper just to buy another one from eBay than repair! Anyway I always wanted an OM-4Ti back in the day and I've been looking round for one of those instead seeing as I was buying a new body anyway.... Anyhoo, I've seen one for sale pretty cheap. It's cheap because it has a little bit missing - you know the little round sort of 'cap' thing with the red light on it, under where it says 'OM4Ti'? That cap is missing and it shows a sort of metal socket.
What I want to know is - what is it exactly that's missing? Is it just the little red light that flashes when the self-timer is counting down?
To be honest I may just get another OM-10 body and spend the money getting a really mint one that I know will be in tip top condition rather than a slightly duff OM-4Ti, you know? I know the '4' is a complete animal of a camera compared to the '10', but that way at least I'll know how it works!
I just wanted to pick your brains about it. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

or you could get a mint OM2 or 1?

Hi Gaz - yes mate I've been looking at an OM-2n on eBay as well, a couple actually. I think I'd prefer that over the OM1 as I think :thinking: the 1 is manual - I already have a manual medium format camera and I really want something with a light meter in it.
The mint OM2's are about £90-£100, the mint OM10's are about £20, so there's quite a big difference. We'll see - payday soon...!

I think that covers the LED which flashes during the self timer countdown. I personally wouldn't buy it with that missing, although Luton Cameras might be able to source a spare for you. Then you would be faced with supergluing it back on...

The main non-mechanical problem with old film cameras, even MINT ones that haven't been used, will be the light seals which simply deteriorate over time. You can replace these yourself using seal kits you'll also find on eBay. There's also a guy on eBay (camerarepairman I think, no connection with me except that I've used him a few times) in Derbyshire who does a great camera/lens servicing service.

You're right - the OM-1 and -1N are fully manual cameras. They have a battery but that's just used for the exposure meter. which merely gives you an indication as to whether the exposure is correct or under/over exposed.

I'll stop now. :geek:

Good luck!

Brian

Thanks ever so much Brian, I think I'll leave that OM4 alone. I've seen a few OM2's here and there which have been serviced and had the light seals replaced, but understandably they come at a premium. To be honest I think I'm going to have to accept it's going to be just another OM10 - even the mint ones are only about £20-£30 & we're going through a bit of a cashflow crisis at the moment at home. I feel like a pelican - everywhere I look therre's a massive bill in front of me!

Thanks also for the recommendation of this camerarepairman fella. The strip of spongey stuff that the mirror flicks up onto in my Mamiya has been gradually dropping off lately!

Thanks also for the recommendation of this camerarepairman fella. The strip of spongey stuff that the mirror flicks up onto in my Mamiya has been gradually dropping off lately!

I've just checked - his ebay id is camerarepairer

One thing to watch out for on OM-1s is the original batteries can't be obtained any longer (they contain mercury, or some such). The Cameras can be modified to take newer batteries or I think a Wein cell can be fitted.

Back