Question about using memory cards in a D500....or other.

Edit My Images
Yes
A quick question out of curiosity.
I have a Nikon D500 and use a few SD cards, most are SDHC/SDXC UHS-II, some Lexar and some SanDisk Extreme Pro's and I'm very happy with them speed wise. I can't help wonder, do people bother with XQD cards, which are still very expensive?(well, I think so)

As I say, just wondering........yes I know, it could be a daft question:rolleyes:

I never found the Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 to be lacking TBH, though I was never a machine gunner.

if you want max speed and those 200 raw files without slowing down then yes get the xqd card

I run a D500 with XQD cards, partly because I have a history of breaking SD cards and partially as it makes for very fast transfer back to the PC. Although I bought them a few years ago and the they were not significantly more expensive than fast SD cards. Currently XQD and especially CFExpress cards are horrifically expensive.

I recently went back to a D500 and use a Sandisk extreme SD card but forgot when on full CH mode and RAW the buffer fills and cannot empty quick enough, its very rare I would do this but in the mach loop 2 weeks ago the elusive F15s came in I managed to get a sequence of first but second I was down to 1 FPS as the buffer was emptying, I had waited 5 years of trips to catch them so will not make that mistake again so have bought an XQD, to be fair its very very rare I would ever need it but this one time it did catch me out (I had forgotten this happens so was my own fault) the D500 is still such an amazing camera though hence me going back to one as the focus acquisition and tracking is still the best out there IMO and I have had a D850 (I have gone to Z7 for the D850 resolution and D500 for speed when needed)

Thanks all for the replies.
I suppose like gramps I don't do much machine gunning, but I'll certainly keep in mind what AdamSi said about his visit to Mach Loop, this a place I'd love to visit one day.....but health issues won't allow until I'm 'fixed', if that every happenes with constant hospital cancelations - but that's another story.
I was hoping the XQD's would have come down in price by now to give one a go, they just seemed to keep going up instead!

Thanks all for the replies.
I suppose like gramps I don't do much machine gunning, but I'll certainly keep in mind what AdamSi said about his visit to Mach Loop, this a place I'd love to visit one day.....but health issues won't allow until I'm 'fixed', if that every happenes with constant hospital cancelations - but that's another story.
I was hoping the XQD's would have come down in price by now to give one a go, they just seemed to keep going up instead!
To be fair it is probably 30+ frames before it starts to slow but if you think about a high speed jet pass with a second close behind it could catch you out, but it is a very rare occasion this happens so dont let it put you off ;)

Back