Question for Mac experts

Edit My Images
Yes
OK, so I really fancy a Mac but, if I'm honest, even the cheapest Mac Mini (£399) is more than I can sensibly spend at the moment.

I've looked on eBay and Intel-based Minis are going for stupid money - far too close to the new price - but the older PowerPC-based ones seems to be going for more affordable prices (sub £200), but are they value for money? They all come with OSX, which is good, but what about performance? I know that the Intel machines are a lot faster, but I don't really need the latest and greatest. The main use will be managing/editing my digital photos.

So, what do you reckon? Worth a punt, or are they likely to give me a bad impression of Macs?

For reference, my current machine is a dual-CPU Athlon, 1GB Ram, all-SCSI - running FreeBSD, not Windoze

save up for intel powered mac

A G4 based Mac, even with lots of RAM, will be outpaced by your current setup no doubt, especially the Mac Mini's as they are crippled by slow (laptop) hard drives.

Either save for an Intel based Mac, or stick with what you have if performance is crucial.

Cheers,
James

go to tescos and use the savings to buy a dyson ;)

but if you really need a mac, can you not get decent discount if you have kids in school?

I have a G5 which has iPhoto and Aperture, as well as CS3, and runs perfectly well. The only complaint I have is that loading RAW images from the D200 does seem to take a bit longer than it did from the D70 ... !

Back