question: wireless mode on my sony flash

Edit My Images
No
having a quick play, but don't have to hand the manual.

got the wireless sony f42 flash working with my sony a300

am experimenting and i was wondering can you disable the internal flash and only use the external wireless option?

No, it needs the pop up flash to trigger the 42 wirelessly.
If you don't want it to effect the picture, you can try and block it, but not completely. I have used a bit of white paper and blue tack just in front of the pop up flash. You can also use a piece of exposed film negative across it as well.

thanks.

i was just hoping to experiment with lighting.

shame as i was thinking of trying to take a picture of my car with the wireless flash on the ground on the side, with me taking a picture without the internal flash at a different angles.

but still, it's pretty trick the wireless flash

You should be still be able to do it. If you are planning to use a tripod, you can just put your hand a few CM's in front of the pop up flash, this blocks the main flash from it, but still allows the pre flash. The wireless one just needs to see the pre flash from the pop up one, it does not have to be line of site. I have used it where the flash and camera can not see each other directly.

This site explains it very well. http://www.friedmanarchives.com/flash.htm nearer the end it explains how it works on digital cameras.

i shall give the hand in front trick ago, just for fun and play to see what results i get

Back