Questions About Battery Grip For The Nikon D80

TG.

Name
Tel
Edit My Images
No
i was thinking of getting a battery grip for my new nikon D80 :D, but i have been reading some very negative comment's over at nikonians, ie shutter release button pretty dismal,and very plasticky feel to the grip overall, has any one on here got one and if so what's your thoughts, all feedback greatly appreciated (y)

I have one on my D80, couldn't do without it. Big hands, so the camera feels too small otherwise. I find it balances the camera pretty well too, especially with a longer lens.

Build quality of the grip is fine. Although it didn't appear to tighten to the body as fully as I thought it should so I cut a piece of "non-slip" rubber grip matting and placed it between the grip and body. Job's a good 'un.

I usually forget to turn off the grip's shutter release, so I've tripped the shutter a few times accidentally.

Hi

As previous post stated it is great from people with shovel hands.. Build quality is fine.. Could not do without it extended battery life... Portrait shutter release and control dials..plus improves ergonomics and balance no end.

regards

Nigel.

apparently though the shutter release isn't the same as the onboard on the camera, and hasn't got the lock when you press it about 50% if that makes's sense,have you both found this ??, i guess i should just go and try one out :shrug:

As others have said, i can't do without it, its excellent. The shutter release doesn't have a half way click, but its very easy to do the half press focus without opening the shutter. I find the build quality fine, and makes the overall ergonomics superior than without a grip imo.

Its a must imo!

The shutter release doesn't actually stop halfway, like the main one does, but the travel is deep enough that it's really easy to press it to halfway anyway.

I leave my BG shutter release on all the time, which means I've taken a few accidental photos, but deleting them is easier than turning the shutter release on-off switch all the time to my lazy self :eek:

The grip isn't any more plasticky than the body itself—that is, it's completely plastic but nevertheless well-built.

100% happy with mine; the improved ergonomics and vertical shutter release are worth it alone; double the battery life is a welcome bonus.

ok thank's for the info guy's, i will definitely go and have a look at one of these in the very near future, (y) just one more thing do battery's come as standard with the grip or do you have to purchase seperately ?

nope, grip is sold without batteries

but some fleabay sellers do sell complete with batteries.

Bought mine from a local camera shop and it came with an original Nikon EN-EL3e battery, all for the sum of £99.
Makes the camera feel a lot better and suits my big hands as well.

Back