questions on portable hides.

Name
gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Been looking at a few hides on ebay and thinking of getting one but certain questions arise, what are they like in the rain or windy days do you put them under cover of woodland or open field.
Where are good locations most places are open to the public and you dont want people walking by or kids scaring the wildlife even dogs get curious and and might jump up they or wee up them. I would like to hear some or your experiences of setting up to gain a bit of experience my self. Do you need permission to put one up when is the best time and furthermore what do you have inside with you like a flask.
Where did you get yours from and how do you rate it.

I have one of these but an eBay job http://www.wildlifewatchingsupplies.co.uk/retail/acatalog/F1-Fold-out-hide-1.html

Incredibly quick to put up each side just pulls out and kind of pops out to lock legs if that makes sense? Doesn't have a floor like a tent so you can lift and reposition without coming out, I've not had much chance to use it yet but was very impressed with it for the price I paid £89 including delivery from memory, it's not waterproof like some but it is lightweight and comes in its own shoulder bag, I am thinking though about a throw over bag hide as at least I'd always have it with me and small and compact so can fit in backpack pocket while keeping the pop up hide for when the wife is tagging along.

I have used a camo bag hide with good success which I borrowed off a good mate, I got hares coming as close as about fifteen foot from me and they didn't seem to notice or bother that I was there. I would recommend these 100% as they are very portable and easy to use and cover you, the camera and tripod and a stool/chair.

I have used a camo bag hide with good success which I borrowed off a good mate, I got hares coming as close as about fifteen foot from me and they didn't seem to notice or bother that I was there. I would recommend these 100% as they are very portable and easy to use and cover you, the camera and tripod and a stool/chair.
Just for balance, as well as the pop up I have described above its a big thing to carry around so is only used occasionally the bag hides is something I'm also thinking abut as ones I've seen are small enough to fit in camera bag pocket and means you always have it with you so a worthy investment.

I've got effectively the same hide as AdamSi, although mine is branded as an Ameristep (who I think were the originators of the concept). I've had it for a good three or four years, and it's done what I've needed it to. That said, I've always found the windows too high. Every single fold out chair or stool I've tried still leaves me a couple of inches too low so I've never been entirely comfortable. If I ever get around to buying a new one, it'll be a dome style one.

One down side to hides is that while they disguise you from animals, they seem to attract homo sapiens! One people notice the strange thing, they feel obliged to come over and investigate!

Last edited:
I've algo got similar than above and used it in gale force winds in Scotland and bad rain. Mines waterproof and find it fantastic. When pinned down didn't move etc and we stayed dry for the 8 hour stints we were doing.

2 in hide with full Gitzo tripods and 500mm f4 and 600mm f4. Two camera bags with 300mm 2.8 attached plus drinks etc. Sat on fold down camping chairs. Very comfy.

So at the bird fair bought another from Outdoor Photography Gear.
Www.outdoorphotographygear.Co.UK

Best hides I've had amd I've used and had a large number of pop ups. The one on the right is the common pop up you see on ebay that's round flat in a bag

Attachments

• 20150616_175655.jpg
    20150616_175655.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 28
Didn't upload on precious post so here they are both side by side

Attachments

• 2015-08-29 08.03.17.jpg
    2015-08-29 08.03.17.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 39
Stealth gear one man hide ,I am on my third one in as many years and mine is out all year round, the brackets on the side were you slide to lock on have all gone first ,the ebay versions are OK but the front zip is the first to go very soon ,I've had a load of those but learnt my lesson and paid a bit more for the stealth gear hide ,I also have a bag hide from wildlife watching supplies ,well made but the hood and netting are massive and I find that it restricts my view when in the prone position as it hangs over a lot

Back