Quick 40D Q!

33L

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
No
I presently have a 400D and looking at moving upto a 40D by the end of the year
Now I want to know is there much improvment over the 400D interms of dynamic range. I struggle with the 400D sometimes and was jsut wondering if i would see a big improvement or a slight one.

There have been quite a few on here ( including me) that have made the jump
to light speed "up" to a 40D and I have not heard any negatives.
I am more than happy with it. Not withstanding the new digi-sensor.
The first thing I noticed was the much improved colour reproduction.
I did struggle a little with the controls for awhile being a different lay-out and all
but thats just a hyper-criticism and it all becomes familier enough in a short time

Making the jump myself in the next few weeks, can't wait, i'm like a kid at christmas.

Made the jump myself about 2 weeks ago and its the best move I've ever made. :D

thanks for the info! the controls is something that will come with time i guess! I actually prefer most of the controls on top rather than next to the LCD

I made the jump too. Mainly because I didn't like the small size of the 400D (it felt well out of balanace when used with a heavy lens) and the much improved shutter speed.

Most other functions are better but not essential in my mind.

I moved to the 40D from a Sony which had a completely different control lay out but it didn't take long at all to get use to it.
Don't forget the 40D has 'Highlight tone priority' too. I've not played with it yet but it's meant to give almost 1 stop more highlight range!

Does the improved colour reproduction and other improvements really justify the difference in price?

I was considering the move myself, but I'm not sure I could justify the difference I'd have to pay. For example if you sold the 400D and purchased the 40D new then I think you'd be talking about £400 for very few improvements!

Surely spending that on a good lens would see better results and flexibility?

Does the improved colour reproduction and other improvements really justify the difference in price?

I was considering the move myself, but I'm not sure I could justify the difference I'd have to pay. For example if you sold the 400D and purchased the 40D new then I think you'd be talking about £400 for very few improvements!

Surely spending that on a good lens would see better results and flexibility?

Like everything in life, it's why you feel the need to change that's important. I had a 350D, I wasn't happy with the high ISO performance, I liked the large LCD on the 40D, and as I almost always shoot in manual, I hated having to fiddle with buttons when I wanted to change the shutter speed.

I was happy to pay the extra to cure all of these, and get things like the 2 second timer, 6.5 fps and of course, the much better Digic III chip.

Yep, I could have spent some money on glass, but I ended up doing that anyway eventually.

Steve

Yeah, that's true.

If anything I'm trying to talk myself out of doing it! And it's not going too well! ;)

There's cashback as well and Kerso, so it could be £100 cheaper than I stated!

Pretty much as Jelster said (y)

I sold my old 400d for £330 (you've got to love e-bay) and after cashback from Canon, the upgrade cost me £200.I only made the upgrade really because I had the spare cash at the time but I'm glad I did.

I'm pretty happy with it, it feels huge compared to the 400d which is great when I'm taking a pic but not so great when I'm lugging it around.Feels really well made in comparison to the slightly plasticy feel of the 400d

I would still recommend the 400d to anyone though, loved mine.

I had a 300d and struggled with the 40d to start with but loving it now:clap:

I too made the move from the 400D to the 40D, more than happy with it.

I compared them both on dpreview, and technology wise, they are not much different, although i think the build quality of the 40D is alot better, more comfortable to hold than the 400D.

Upgrade's going to cost me £200 also. Well worth it IMO, because it'll do me for another 18 months or so at least, and I can concentrate on buying lenses and other bits, rather than keep my 400D knowing at some point i'd want to upgrade.

I guess it's worth pointing out that the Canon cashback offer has ended, so an upgrade to a new 40D is a more expensive move, £100 more expensive!

I think I'm going to wait until the cashback offer comes around again next year, assuming it does.

I will be buying it when funds permitt not fussed about wating for the cash back. Gonig to have to get another grip, new batteries, new remote!

Well £100 less is quite a difference in price. You will have to purchase it between the dates stated by the next cashback offer, so until the offer comes back (maybe next year) we won't know.

I'm going to hold off, I'm pretty happy with my 400D, so I'm just going to either save my money or purchase a few new lenses, the 40D and 400D both use the same lens mountings, so they all should work.

yeah - im just finding the limits with the 400D and the 40D has some feature that will be quite useful for me. Im not looking at getting one tomorrow or anything like that! I might even be keeping the 400D as a back up.

I agree its a very capable camera

Back