Review Quick Draw Rapid Black Camera Strap

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
The Quick Draw Rapid Black Camera Strap is a 'Black Rapid' clone sold on eBay, example HERE.

IMG_0012.jpg

Now you might think, what can go wrong with a strap, why pay 2 or 3 times the price for a camera strap?
Well there is a serious problem with the strap I bought ... whilst it is perfectly secure and it is comfortable, it has a fixing carabiner that can damage your camera!

The carabiner has small sharp protusions at the side of the main barrel ...

IMG_0014.jpg

When the strap is folded or swung/carried in such a way that the carabiner can come into contact with the camera base ... the net result is scratches to the base of the camera!

IMG_0011.jpg

(Sorry for the poor images, quick iPhone pics).

So be warned, cheaper is not always the best way to go and a few pennies saved is not always the most economic option.

Oh and if anyone knows a good way to remove the scratches from my D2Hs I would be most grateful to hear.

well they normaly come with a bracket that the caribiner connects to of to one side and it wont catch and if you use a big lens(foot) i use my monopod mount of the plate(no probs).

also would like to mention i have used one for over a year with no probs with 2 d300s or a d300 and d700 and never had a prob, and even used the strap all day with 2 cams attached.
also what are the originals gonna do any different have you seen what they are supplied with.

Last edited:
I had a Black Rapid and it never caused any issues whatsoever, this has only been used one day on my camera and all that scratch damage ... not worth it IMO.

I've used the "quickstrap" for over a year now with the plate they supply on a Sony a55 with an 18-250 sigma lens. The strap has never come in contact with the camera at all, even when it's all packed away in my crumpler bag snuggly. So I can highly recommend the strap, why pay 3 times more?.

I've used the "quickstrap" for over a year now with the plate they supply on a Sony a55 with an 18-250 sigma lens. The strap has never come in contact with the camera at all, even when it's all packed away in my crumpler bag snuggly. So I can highly recommend the strap, why pay 3 times more?.

The plate is unsightly and not something that everyone would want to use ... I don't and so used it with a Black Rapid style screw-in fastener - if the Q-Strap carabiner touches your camera it will mark it!
Whatever you use it with, there shouldn't be any sharp points on the carabiner to have the potential of causing damage.

Your carabiner is a different design, clearly it is silver and has rounded edges to the clip 'rivet' - mine was bought a few weeks ago and is more a bronze colour and definitely the 'rivet' ends are sharp.
Maybe it's a change in design since you bought yours.

My crab's different again, and it's only a few week old too :)

Plus due to the way the end of the strap is sewn over there is no way it'll unthread from the buckle to get the crab off the strap.

My crab's different again, and it's only a few week old too :)

Plus due to the way the end of the strap is sewn over there is no way it'll unthread from the buckle to get the crab off the strap.

Does it have the sharp edges to the 'rivet'?

No it doesn't :thinking:, nor does it have the knurling on the screw sleeve...

P1020128.jpg

Can't you give the sharp edge a quick 'wipe' with a file to get rid of it?

Just removed them altogether, currently running the strap through the BR clone fastener to avoid any further damage.

This is a great looking and practical piece of kit, great work finding it and providing a comprehensive review.

Back