Quick question- 35mm spiral loading

Edit My Images
Yes
For the first time ever I've managed to retrieve the leader from a 35mm cannister, previously i,ve used the can opener method. Will I be better loading the film onto the spiral by feeding it straight from the cannister or completely pulling it out the cannister, cutting it and then feeding into the spiral?

If the leader is there, I cut it straight, shape the corners so they're rounded, and then feed the first few inches onto the spiral in the light.

It's then easy-peasy to do the rest in the changing bag, pulling out a short length at a time from the canister and winding it on - I usually do four winds, then pull out the next length, then repeat until it's all loaded and no more can be extracted, whereupon I cut the film from canister.

Been a while but when I was loading spirals in a changing bag, I pulled about 4 - 5 inches out, wound it on to the spiral, repeat until I reached the end. When in a proper darkroom, I'd get a foot or so onto the reel, pull out about a yard, wind it on then pull the rest out and wind it on. Pretty sure I used to do similar when I'd had to crack the canister open but sometimes the spool would fall out of the open end!

If the leader is there, I cut it straight, shape the corners so they're rounded, and then feed the first few inches onto the spiral in the light.
Thanks @FishyFish . Leader already shaped an corners cut diagonally but will re-cut to rounded.

I had wondered about doing a short bit in the light so will do that. I have a darkroom so I now avoid changing bag use whenever possible.

Will spiral load and dev tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nod
Thanks @FishyFish . Leader already shaped an corners cut diagonally but will re-cut to rounded.

I had wondered about doing a short bit in the light so will do that. I have a darkroom so I now avoid changing bag use whenever possible.

Will spiral load and dev tomorrow.
As long as you get the film beyond the ball bearings in the light, the rest should be easy in the dark.

20180207_163606_resized.jpg

There are handy accessories to get the leader out of the film, don't know if it's the best but I got an old Jessops one off ebay. I use it now and again when accidentally I've rewound the film back when using one roll on several cameras.

There are handy accessories to get the leader out of the film, don't know if it's the best but I got an old Jessops one off ebay. I use it now and again when accidentally I've rewound the film back when using one roll on several cameras.

@excalibur2 Snap!

IMG_20221110_075407860_HDR.jpg

I bought it cheaply off eBay a year or so ago but couldn't figure out how to work it. This time I followed the handily enclosed instructions and after swapping out the well used tongues for the included spare set then in the words of The Great Soprendo "Piff Paff Puff" :)

Last edited:
@excalibur2 Snap!

View attachment 373105

I bought it cheaply off eBay a year or so ago but couldn't figure out how to work it. This time I followed the handily enclosed in instructions and after swapping out the well used tongues for the included spare set then in the words of The Great Soprendo "Piff Paff Puff" :)

Gotta wear my hearing aid to hear the click o_O;)

I always removed the end of the canister but left the film on the spool
. However I used stainless steel centre loading. Spirals. Which are much faster to load and cannot stick.

I did not like redrawing the film through the canister felts, in case there was any grit in them, as that could cause a scratch the length of the film.
For the same reason I did not reuse cassettes.

Thanks to you all.
IMG_20221110_081414901_HDR.jpg

The reason for writing on the film is that I'd loaded into one point and shoot but decided to remove it and put it in another. The writing is to indicate where the unexposed film started. Next time the part I put into the spiral in the daylight will be shorter.

Film now fully on spiral, will develop later when the sun has warmed the shed based darkroom.

The empty cannister has been used as the receiver for a freshly slit 16mm film.

IMG_20221110_083536741_HDR.jpg

Back