Quick question for Nikon (D300) experts

Edit My Images
Yes
I've noticed recently that I cannot seem to apply positive exposure compensation (EV) to my photos when in Matrix Metering mode. It seems to work ok in spot and centre-weighted but in matrix I can only apply negative EV to my shots, applying positive EV doesn't do anything at all.

Is this normal?

Here are some photos:

0.0 Exposure Compensation
dsc3485cv8.jpg

+5.0 Exposure Compensation
dsc3486wq4.jpg

-5.0 Exposure Compensation
dsc3487gr4.jpg

I would say its not normal, at least, when i set my D300 up as yours, i can dial in + EV and see the difference.
Do you have a filter on your lens? I understand some filters can affect the way Matrix metering works. If you have one, take it off and try again.
Allan

I would say its not normal, at least, when i set my D300 up as yours, i can dial in + EV and see the difference.
Do you have a filter on your lens? I understand some filters can affect the way Matrix metering works. If you have one, take it off and try again.
Allan

I only have a UV filter on it, I wouldn't have thought that it made that much difference to the metering system. If it did then I would have thought that it would affect spot and centre weighted metering as well?

Yv said:
:shrug: no idea, but have you tried resetting all the settings to factory default in case you have accidently changed something that might be causing the problem? If you have custom settings, make a not of them so you can redo them.

Yep, I have tried resetting the camera by holding the 2 green-dot buttons down.

I bought the camera in september at dixons duty free, but I still haven't register it with nikon, does that mean I have lost my additional warranty with nikon? :shrug:

From looking at the EXIF, you're shooting in shutter priority and have hit the widest aperture that your lens can go to. Presumably your ISO is stuck at 200 and not in Auto-ISO. Basically the camera has nowhere to get those 5 stops from.

Try the same thing in good lighting outdoors and I'm sure you'll find everything is fine. I doubt you will never need 5 stops of exposure compensation either, try a more reasonable figure - e.g +1, -1.

I know the reason. (And I know nothing about D300s!)

The EXIF says:
#1: 1/2 sec at f/5.6
#2: 1/2 sec at f/5.6
#3: 1/2 sec at f/32

Can you see it yet?

You're shooting in shutter priority mode. For #2 you've effectively asked the camera to open up the lens 5 stops wider than f/5.6, which is f/1. The lens can't do that. (I expect you were using your 18-200 VR at 200mm, which means its maximum aperture is f/5.6.)

Take the same shots in aperture priority and the exposure compensation will work.

EDIT: Rats! Must type faster!

That makes sense!(y) I'll give it a go when I get home tonight and report back. Thats a bit of a relief, cheers guys!

Any idea about the warranty though? Is it too late to register it with nikon?

Just out of interest, why does it work in spot and centre-weighted but not matrix metering? I can see how the camera is trying to get extra stops to over-expose by adjusting the aperture but I don't understand why its not working in matrix metering mode?

Just out of interest, why does it work in spot and centre-weighted but not matrix metering? I can see how the camera is trying to get extra stops to over-expose by adjusting the aperture but I don't understand why its not working in matrix metering mode?
I'd guess that if he's spot-metering on the mouse the camera will recommend an aperture smaller than f/5.6, which leaves some room for the EC to increase the aperture.

Just to report back... I have tried this again with aperture priority and it seems to work fine now. Thanks guys! (y)

Back