Quick question on people shots

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,
I am going to do my first bit of photography next weekend in years. I have been looking at some people shots on here, and I was wondering. Do you have a preference regarding background exposure?
I realise that it generally depends on the shot, but do you like overexposed backgrounds, with the subject perfectly exposed, or do you like a darker/correct(?) background? I am planning on using a shallow depth of field in most cases, as I think the background will be quite busy with other people/objects. I am not expecting to get 2nd chances to be able to do both.
I will shoot in manual with FEL. Raw naturally.
I would rather get it right in-camera, rather than use a gimp mask or similar.
The basic question is do you prefer light backgrounds, or darker. Or maybe it's impossible to say until it's taken :D

Personal preference is just that, personal.

If you've got a busy background the rules of composition suggest under exposing it (our eyes are drawn to bright things, you don't want your background fighting for attention).

It's not clear what you're shooting, but if you've got time to FEL I'd suggest using the flash in Manual mode.

My simple rules of thumb for flash:
  • If flash is fill, ettl for flash aperture priority on camera
  • If flash is key in a non static situation ettl flash manual for ambient (easy to choose what the background looks like and balance the flash to taste)
  • If flash is key in a static situation, manual flash, manual camera (manual deals with changes in subject and framing better than ettl)

Hope that helps

Personal preference is just that, personal.

If you've got a busy background the rules of composition suggest under exposing it (our eyes are drawn to bright things, you don't want your background fighting for attention).

It's not clear what you're shooting, but if you've got time to FEL I'd suggest using the flash in Manual mode.

My simple rules of thumb for flash:
  • If flash is fill, ettl for flash aperture priority on camera
  • If flash is key in a non static situation ettl flash manual for ambient (easy to choose what the background looks like and balance the flash to taste)
  • If flash is key in a static situation, manual flash, manual camera (manual deals with changes in subject and framing better than ettl)

Hope that helps

Thats good, as I have always done it darker in the past, by using manual camera mode, and ettl flash with FEL on the subject, but looking at some other photos with lighter backgrounds has made me question myself.
The subjects will hopefully give a pose, but won't want messing about timewise. The background will be a mix, either other people, boats, or buildings/trees.

Thats good, as I have always done it darker in the past, by using manual camera mode, and ettl flash with FEL on the subject, but looking at some other photos with lighter backgrounds has made me question myself.
The subjects will hopefully give a pose, but won't want messing about timewise. The background will be a mix, either other people, boats, or buildings/trees.
Sounds like you have a plan, but I've never used FEL, I don't trust it at all. I do use FEC as necessary though. If your flash is the keylight though, bounce it or get it off your camera, decent triggers are peanuts nowadays. Also look for the Neewer 60cm softbox and S type flash bracket from eBay or Amazon, brilliantly portable and works great too.

So much of that goes over my head, it's about time I pulled my finger out and learned technical.

No flash for me so um hoping for a decent day light wise :D

I always thought I had an off camera bracket :confused: but I haven't. I must have hand held in the past, but that would be awkward next week. I do have a stofen diffuser though.
I will check out the S bracket (y)
Thanks Phil :)

A useful addition to your kit @Cg_Girl , and you can probably pick up something pretty cheap. Or, you can buy a retail box on ebay for a fiver, and just pretend you have one :D
@Phil V , we will be shooting at mid day +/- a few hours. Not ideal I know, but do you think we could get away with a white reflector at that time of day for any close up faces? Just an idea. Its been a long time for me. I will still take my flash in case I need it.

A useful addition to your kit @Cg_Girl , and you can probably pick up something pretty cheap. Or, you can buy a retail box on ebay for a fiver, and just pretend you have one :D
@Phil V , we will be shooting at mid day +/- a few hours. Not ideal I know, but do you think we could get away with a white reflector at that time of day for any close up faces? Just an idea. Its been a long time for me. I will still take my flash in case I need it.

I've no idea, I'm not there.
Supplementary reflectors or lighting are decided on a case by case basis.

Rule of thumb - keep their back to the sun (avoids squinty eyes) - a reflector or flash can come in handy for that, but with a huge overcast sky is less necessary, in the shadow of a massive boat with a clear sky you might need flash to add some contrast, there's lots of variables.

I've no idea, I'm not there.
Supplementary reflectors or lighting are decided on a case by case basis.

Rule of thumb - keep their back to the sun (avoids squinty eyes) - a reflector or flash can come in handy for that, but with a huge overcast sky is less necessary, in the shadow of a massive boat with a clear sky you might need flash to add some contrast, there's lots of variables.

Yeah, thats cool. I understand that. :)
At least it will get me back into it, with any luck, despite any disastrous results that may occur. I won't be put off by a first shoot. .

I always thought I had an off camera bracket :confused: but I haven't. I must have hand held in the past, but that would be awkward next week. I do have a stofen diffuser though.
I will check out the S bracket (y)
Thanks Phil :)

A stofen will do very little outdoors other reduce the effective power and increase the recycle time of your flash. They're intended to direct the light in more directions, so it bounces off more surfaces thus providing a larger effective light source. If you don't have more surfaces to bounce off they're pointless.

IMO It's much easier to use a reflector than a bare flash to create soft flattering shadows, if that's what you're after. Of course that's not much help if you want drama.

In the absence of other modifiers you can bounce the flash off the reflector, or if it's the 5-in-1 type shoot through the diffuser panel, but that requires stands, gaffer tape and and the like.

Rule of thumb - keep their back to the sun (avoids squinty eyes) - a reflector or flash can come in handy for that

In bright conditions even a reflector can cause squinty eyes. If stuck you can ask your subject to close their eyes until just before the shot.

Back