Quick question, Photography in Heineken rugby cup game

Name
Stuart
Edit My Images
Yes
I have got a shot from a Heineken cup game that was covered by Sky Sports of a referee.

I have lost the ticket so I’m not sure if there were any terms and conditions but I was wondering if I can upload the Photo Alamy?

Cheers Stuart

I've lost count how many times someone has asked about whether or not they are allowed to shoot from the stands. If you aren't there in a professional capacity, then you shouldn't be photographing the event, and you certainly shouldn't be trying to sell them. Also, I doubt anyone would be purchasing that type of image through Alamy.

I've lost count how many times someone has asked about whether or not they are allowed to shoot from the stands. If you aren't there in a professional capacity, then you shouldn't be photographing the event, and you certainly shouldn't be trying to sell them. Also, I doubt anyone would be purchasing that type of image through Alamy.

Agreed.

Sorry Stu, it doesn't really matter about the Sky Sports bit. Rules are that if you're there as a paying punter you shouldn't be photographing it. Rightly or wrongly, photo for your personal use (ie. sharing on here - as per your other thread) is often overlooked.

But selling (or attempting) on Alamy is right out. Not least for the fact that it's more likely to be commercial use than editorial use. Even the pro's and agencies have to get extra permission for commercial as we're only covered for editorial.

All of the above plus i suspect there are some on here who would actually report it as well to the relevant bodies/authorities and quite rightly as well

Thank you for the responses,

Image deleted! Never to be seen again! (including the others I posted for critque)

I had looked (genuinely) on the grounds for any signs saying not to take photographs; I had also googled Heineken cup and sky sports to see if they had pages on policy, I was right down on the front row next to the stewards; I am surprised nobody said anything.

Anyway thank you for the advice (As always) I will steer clear of this kind of photography in future.

Stuart

Last edited:
Thank you for the responses,

Image deleted! Never to be seen again!

I had looked (genuinely) on the grounds for any signs saying not to take photographs; I had also googled Heineken cup and sky sports to see if they had pages on policy, I was right down on the front row next to the stewards; I am surprised nobody said anything.

Anyway thank you for the advice (As always) I will steer clear of this kind of photography in future.

Stuart

It's not Sky Sports that would have a problem it would be ERC Rugby. As I said, it's often overlooked by the stewards as it'd be a real arseache to enforce vigourously. However, at the point when you're trying to make money it becomes more of an issue for them. Especially as the ref would be wearing a Heineken Cup top which makes it pretty obvious it's an HC game.

Don't "steer clear of this kind of photography"...none of mine, Kieran's or Gary's comments were meant to be taken as a "warning off" from Sports Photography, but if you are going to go for it, then approach a smaller club and go from there...don't do it by shooting from the stands.

Cheers,

I can see why it would up set people now that I have thought about it! I'm just keen to try and claw back a little bit on money for the massive amount I have spent on photography. So I have just been raiding my hard drive and asking "would somebody want to buy this?" (No body has bought any of it!) :D

That was actually the first live sports game I have ever been two, I was just at the pub with to of my collages who asked if I wanted to come along. I was drunk enough to say yes! :D

I’m enjoying trying to build a little library on Alamy, looking for little details that might be interesting to some one and framing things so there is room for text! Its part of the challenge to make an appealing picture that suits somebody looking for something different.

I will keep away from this area. Its not a passion of mine, if it was I would have probably known about this issue before now. I just thought shooting sports is something I’ve never done so I would give it a try.

I just put sky sports in to give everybody as much information as possable. seen plently of threads decend into argument becasue people as left to make assumptions. THis dosen't seem to be the case here!

Cheers Stuart

Last edited:
To be fair Stuart, you've approached this with a damn sight more maturity than some other people when they get knocked back quite so categorically on this issue! That's why those other threads descended so quickly...

Interestingly enough, the most useful thing I did when starting to put stuff on Alamy was to look through some of the Sunday papers feature sections, travel, education etc. Highlight every single picture that came from a stock agency and then see what comes up the most often!

Thats what sells. Then look through Alamy on those sort of search terms, chances are you'll find something you can better.

This applies to whatever field you're looking at...if you've got a macro lens, i'm guessing you'd do some macro? That could sell very nicely to journals, magazines etc. if you get it right.

Digressed a little there didn't i?

Cheers, I am aware of the potential stress that can be caused by the amateur boom in the world of photography. I am very keen not to add to these tensions, as I can imagine how not funny it is when you have a man beside you who is funded there kit themselves through there job and would the thrilled and delighted to sell any of there images at any price. Its why I liked the idea of Alamy. The prices are fair I’m not under cutting anybody and if the buyer thinks I’m rubbish they simply click on the next image.

Do want to here some thing funny? I heard that photos of tape measures sold quite frequently on Alamy, So this weekend I got my lights out and the tape measure out from my tool box cleaned it up and took some nice well exposed pictures of it. I submitted and it got accepted today. As I was tagging it, I thought I would look at what the other pictures of tape measures looked like (should have done that In the first place!)

If you were to search for “tape measure” on Alamy then it wont take you long to release why it sell so well! Look at the last image on the first page. It’s the best looking tape measure I’ve ever seen :D

Stuart

Last edited:
All of the above plus i suspect there are some on here who would actually report it as well to the relevant bodies/authorities and quite rightly as well

Not keen on that kinda action TBH ..Just my personal opinion :)

Not keen on that kinda action TBH ..Just my personal opinion :)

Hmmm, yeah it doesn't sit right with me either...fair enough tell the individual but to go squealing to the authorities seems a bit much. In this instance it's been an honest mistake.

I think if the individual is being a bit more beligirent (see AFC's thread "DataCo Ruling") then a short sharp shock is perhaps more in order.

Still, I just found out I got TWO Pictures of the Day in December in South African newspapers...quite :D about that.

Last edited:
Well obviously I'm not to keen in the idea either

I would just like to state in case that there is any confusion that at no point was any image from the match for sale or commercially available at ANY point!

I really was asking before I did anything.

Congratulations James on getting your shots published.

Stuart

Well obviously I'm not to keen in the idea either

I would just like to state in case that there is any confusion that at no point was any image from the match for sale or commercially available at ANY point!

I really was asking before I did anything.

Congratulations James on getting your shots published.

Stuart

Not wanting to sound like I'm boasting, but they get published every week :D

Nice to get "picture of the day" for sport though...must be doing something right!

Now that I know where to look I have been on

www.ercrugby.com

From there site I have not seen any page telling me not to take photographs. I wonder if it would be incredibly stupid of me to drop them an email explaining the situation and suggesting they have a more prominent display of there policies on Photography?

Stuart

Not wanting to sound like I'm boasting, but they get published every week :D

Nice to get "picture of the day" for sport though...must be doing something right!

As a Pro I imagine you would need to, but still congratulations its nice to have bread on the table. (and jam in the case of picture of the day! :D )

Last edited:
oops :)

Last edited:
Congratulations on your S.African connection James.

I agree that you guys have worked your nuts off to get where you are today, and seeing the weekly schedules you guys cover makes me exhausted just reading them and you have my utmost respect.

As for published photo's, yes it is nice when you get a photo into print, so far this year I have had 6 pics published in local papers and as a nobody I was well chuffed and proud of my efforts (again thanks to you guys).

tidied up folks, don't feed the trolls :)

Was he a troll then? I wasn't sure if Tony had got it right and it was someone I knew! Hence my reply which was tinged with an element of "no really, who are you?"

Well, whoever it was hasn't bothered to come back or answer any of my PMs...can't think what I must have done to offend someone quite that much simply by being pleased that I got a couple of "pic of the day"

Well, whoever it was hasn't bothered to come back or answer any of my PMs...can't think what I must have done to offend someone quite that much simply by being pleased that I got a couple of "pic of the day"

I would say just ignore it.. But I know from experience :( thats not really possible..

I really hate it when things like that happen. Don't really know why people do it.

Never recevied an e-mail back from the ERC.

Stuart

They're based in Ireland...you know how much they enjoy festivities. Possibly haven't sobered up enough yet to answer emails! ;)

Back