Quiet day?

Edit My Images
Yes
Well, it's been a quiet day on the forum today. I can only assume that you've all been off taking stunning photo's in the gorgeous sunlight we've had today. I shall look forward to seeing your work! ;)

Unlike me. I've spent the whole day backing up about 70Gb of photo's, music and general rubbish off my H/D. I hate doing it but I've had a HD fail on me in the past and I couldn't stand the cost or trauma of trying to recover everything again!

Have you backed up lately?

Yup - always backup, onto another hard disk and another machine, have portable hard drives and laptops which I use to hold really critical stuff. And of course recordable DVD for archiving.

Sorry - just been doing some of my backups todays aswell;)

Nope, be very lazy and had other things that required my attention. It is high o my list but I am currently re-visiting all my images over the last three/four years and reprocessing everything. Its a catch 22 for me now as if I back up now the images will soon be reprocessed and need doing again. Double time, double storage and twice the effort. On the other hand if I have a hd faliure....

Experienced several H/D failures over the years...especially with laptops....but still don't really backup that often :nut: Lazy Lazy lazy ;)

Was a lovely day and yes I was out with my camera but no........nothing worth posting/sharing :icon_roll

i went out with the camera, found i still have no talent.
Went shopping, had a look round the local art exibition(no, really i did....yes it was full of pretentious people)
I made 2 shelves out of the old bed carcus before throwing the rest out.
I ironed all the kids school uniforms(probably so badly the wife will have to do them again
Ate some hotdogs, played star wars battlefront2
tidied up
cooked the food for the kids
cooked the wife and me some food
looked for a cheap 28 -75tamron
Looked at the 120gb hard drive i need to install. Im looking at it again now, but it means saving all the email settings, finding the serial numbers for the antivirus and firewall, finding my original XP disk and packaging, installing service pack 2(again) etc etc. Ive backed up my music and pictures though, 40gb of them

EosD said:
iLooked at the 120gb hard drive i need to install. Im looking at it again now, but it means saving all the email settings, finding the serial numbers for the antivirus and firewall, finding my original XP disk and packaging, installing service pack 2(again) etc etc. Ive backed up my music and pictures though, 40gb of them

Why not just add 120GB drive on top of existing one...thats what I did. Saves all the above, plus means you'll have a seperate scratch disk for PS :)

Otherwise aren't there pgms out there like Partition Magic that copy the whole disk across for you, to save all the hassle ?

gandhi said:

I have a second identical 120gb hard drive and use Acronis True Image.

Once I've made sure everything is squeaky clean and run all my spyware/malware apps, reigistry cleaners, manual deletions, defrag etc etc, I run Trueimage which backs the entire c drive up as is, windows and all, onto the second drive.
If anything goes pear shaped, I can just swop the plugs over!

I do that every Sunday.
I also backup my RAW files to DVD when I've finished playing around with them but found recently, the dvd just sits there and freezes my pc when its trying to generate the hundreds of RAW thumbnails.
Sorry Dave, I'm still struggling to get those RAW files back on the PC for you :ponders:

trouble is, i need to do a clean install of XP, my laptop runs faster than the main machine now, the lappy is supposed to be slower, so its clean out time!

i will look at that suggestion Dave, thanks!

I spent most of yesterday trying to get a decent macro photo for a comp on a diffrerent forum, but nothing came out the way I wanted :(

Am going to go out and about with the camera today and just take pics of things that catch my eye.

EosD said:
trouble is, i need to do a clean install of XP, my laptop runs faster than the main machine now, the lappy is supposed to be slower, so its clean out time!

i will look at that suggestion Dave, thanks!
Once you've done your clean install (or even before) download a program called "Ghost" believe it's by symantec, this will backup your drive in no time, including all settings. It can write directly to cd or dvd and if needed span over several discs...It also has its own win explorer style viewer from where you can delete files no longer needed, straight from the archive. Very fast program for backing up drives and saves time having to re enter passwords, drivers and stuff.

Looking hard at a couple or three LaCie 250Gb hard drives for backup/spare space, rather than the 1Tb drive that originally caught my eye! Imagine if that bad-boy went south on you full of stuff!!!
Know what you mean about long start-up times for RAW off DVDs - in future I'll just use the DVDs as archive and keep everything on a seperate HD and back-up regularly.

gandhi said:
Unlike me. I've spent the whole day backing up about 70Gb of photo's, music and general rubbish off my H/D. I hate doing it but I've had a HD fail on me in the past and I couldn't stand the cost or trauma of trying to recover everything again!

Time well spent, I lost a HDD earlier in the year. I shouldn't need it but thanks for the reminder :)

I think after christmas I'm gonna go down a similar road to Arkady and Bachs. An external Firewire disk I can just do a whole drive backup to. And then archive on dvd. Gotta be a lot easier than using dvd's for the backup. Hopefully will be upgrading my ancient PC to a nice dual core AMD platform after the expense of christmas, so good opportiunity to get firewire sorted too. My amd 2500 is starting to struggle with photochop!

i think im gonna delve into this RAID business this winter, to have a main drive and then 2 identical 200gb drives mirroring each other automatically for my data.

should keep it all nice and safe.

RAID in not a backup solution - RAID is fault tolerant, it may save your data if a hard disk fails, but will be no use in preventing damage from viruses, accidental deletion, corruption of files or file system, etc.
For a backup solution to be safe you really want atleast one external device or WORM (DVD-R/RW, CD-ROM, etc).

Not getting at you BTW, but I hear so many people these days talking about using RAID as a backup solution and they just dont get it - RAID is not suitable for backups.
:)

Warspite said:
WORM (DVD-R/RW, CD-ROM, etc)

Quick Q here (sorry to be so sad) but I've always thought WORM stood for Write Optically, Read Magnetically rather than the Write Once, Read Many that it is used these days?

Write Once Read Many is what its always stood for. :)

Aye WORM is Write Once, Read Many.

Isn't Write Optically, Read Magnetically a technical impossibilty anyway? (well, not an impossibility, but not something that is applicable in IT)

I remember at one point, I always thought CMOS stood for Chargable Machine Operating System. Not sure where I got that one from.

Just had a google and the technology is Write Magnetically, Read Optically. WMRO or ROWM not so easy to remember as others! lol

Warspite said:
RAID in not a backup solution - RAID is fault tolerant, it may save your data if a hard disk fails, but will be no use in preventing damage from viruses, accidental deletion, corruption of files or file system, etc.
For a backup solution to be safe you really want atleast one external device or WORM (DVD-R/RW, CD-ROM, etc).

Not getting at you BTW, but I hear so many people these days talking about using RAID as a backup solution and they just dont get it - RAID is not suitable for backups.
:)

no offence taken, i appriciate the advice. i hadnt really considered viruses, i guess its been so long since ive had one. i was more worried about HDD failure as ive had that happen more frequently! good point tho, maybe time for a firewire drive.

Is that some kind of Harry Potter magic phrase then Marcel? :D

Back