Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
_69I5345_6_7_h.jpg

c&c always welcome.

thank you for looking :)

Hi Tom.
Nice enough, but I'm not being blown away. ( You'll probably be thinking, "Well you bloody well should be :D"

I think your picture is the top right quarter & as such it might have been an idea to concentrate on that, if you get my drift.
Nice to see a shot though that has believable colour in it instead of all this overstated stuff you see now.

Hi Tom.
Nice enough, but I'm not being blown away. ( You'll probably be thinking, "Well you bloody well should be :D"

thanks for commenting. as for 'not being blown away' its the tranquility of the scene that caught my eye as opposed to stormy skies and gale force winds.

I think your picture is the top right quarter & as such it might have been an idea to concentrate on that, if you get my drift.
Nice to see a shot though that has believable colour in it instead of all this overstated stuff you see now.

thank you charlie for commenting. a bit like this do you mean:

_69I5345_6_7_h-2.jpg

had taken a variety of shots there that morning some portrait and some landscapes - hadn't thought of this one with that type crop so thanks for the suggestion. as for colour, for me be it good or bad weather, scotland has some amazing natural colour so it would be a shame not trying to make the most of it.

tom

With that crop I now find myself wondering what it would be like if you had swung more right so we could see what the slope was doing just outside the shot.
I agree with your thoughts in Scottish light too.
No need to mess about with it. Just wait five minutes & nature will do it for you. Especially this year on the east!

I like them both Tom. As you all say its the quality of the light in Scotland that transforms, what is in effect mainly bare rock and some scrubby undergrowth, into a feast of colour.
This time next week we will be crossing the border on our way to Arisaig on the west coast, can't wait.

Andy

With that crop I now find myself wondering what it would be like if you had swung more right so we could see what the slope was doing just outside the shot.
I agree with your thoughts in Scottish light too.
No need to mess about with it. Just wait five minutes & nature will do it for you. Especially this year on the east!

thanks for popping back charlie. as to see more of the slopes on the right it will be a touch of patience as i have not yet got round to working on those.

I like them both Tom. As you all say its the quality of the light in Scotland that transforms, what is in effect mainly bare rock and some scrubby undergrowth, into a feast of colour.
This time next week we will be crossing the border on our way to Arisaig on the west coast, can't wait.

Andy

cheers for commenting on this one again andy (y)

as mentioned elsewhere those midges are trained to go for non scottish blood. rottweiler's are little angels compared to those midges.

tom

Prefer the crop. My first thought was wanting to see more of the left hand side - if there was a shoreline to follow round.

Hi Tom,
The second crop works best for me, the dark patch on the left centre of the first post is a little distracting. The light colour and detail are all very good.
Would of been nice to have some cloud cover to boost the sky but as we all know, we cant have everything all the time;)

How about a little HDR treatment?

not into hdr but even so it i think it would be a shame to do that as there are some rich natural colours here.

Hi Tom,
The second crop works best for me, the dark patch on the left centre of the first post is a little distracting. The light colour and detail are all very good.
Would of been nice to have some cloud cover to boost the sky but as we all know, we cant have everything all the time;)

thank you for commenting. a more usual scottish sky has a heavy cloud content so occasionally its nice to get a blue sky there.

tom

Love the photo generally, but not the sky. I suffered the EXACT same fate at Scott's View last week, and I posted, it got slated, and quite rightly :D

I just think the sky sometimes needs that little something to hold interest.

Still, nice photo regardless.

Gary.

Last edited:
Love the photo generally, but not the sky. I suffered the EXACT same fate ar Scott's View last week, and I posted, it got slated, and quite rightly :D

I just think the sky sometimes needs that little something to hold interest.

Still, nice photo regardless.

Gary.

cheers gary for commenting - not always cloud and rain in scotland :LOL:

my perspective is that if there were clouds in the sky it is unlikely that there would be the same tone and intensity of that early morning light. it is therefore a case of which is more valued - some cloud or that light. mine is the later.

tom

cheers gary for commenting - not always cloud and rain in scotland :LOL:

my perspective is that if there were clouds in the sky it is unlikely that there would be the same tone and intensity of that early morning light. it is therefore a case of which is more valued - some cloud or that light. mine is the later.

tom

Yeahm, it's a tricky balancing act. You can get both though:
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=150220

I see your point as obviously a lot of shade is in his photo, but still I find the mix works well.

Gary.

thanks for popping back back gary - ghandi is a superb tog and he has caught that scene very well. it is however Quirang in Skye whereas my shot is Quinag in Assynt.

tom

:D :bonk:

Where / what / how? :D

:D :bonk:

Where / what / how? :D

thats the trouble with scotland gary - there are just so many cracking landscape scenes. i am encouraged that this even causes confusion amongst the locals :LOL:

tom

Back