R.I.P Grampa.

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
No
Not so sad, he died when i was 2 years old. However, whilst helping my nan to move house we came across this stash of goodies which she's let me have.

Konica TC-X, a 28mm 3.5 prime, a 135mm 2.5, and a 35-70 2.5, along with a Hanimex TZ2 flash.
6717381407_339d52b533_b.jpg

The extent of my film knowledge is very limited - Mainly disposable cameras at festivals, and i did a little dark room stuff when i was in year ten at school, too long ago to realistically remember much.

So I want to give film a go. All this equipment seems to be of very good quality, and it seems a heck of a waste to not put it to good use! It's always good to learn new things.

So - where to start? What film for all round shooting? Any tips for shooting film?

I'm afraid i'm a product of the instant review, histogram and photoshop generation - so i'm feeling a little lost with this kit.

Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Mike.

You'll like those Hexanon lenses. To test the camera, go to Poundland shop and buy Kodak colorplus for erm £1 after using the film, pop into a big Asda and just have develope and scanned to CD for £2.97.....they should do it in 1 hour while you shop, but recently one of the Asda that I go to, seemed short staffed to do it weekends.

Everything you know about digital transfers over to the dark side. Don't go trying to plug a USB cable into it though!

After testing the camera to see if it works fine with cheap film as suggested above then there are loads of types of film that you can use, it depends on what you want. Get the test film developed any scanned or printed in Jessops, Boots, ASDA etc to see if the camera has any light leaks etc.

For B&W, I would recommend trying either Kodak Tri-X or Ilford HP-5 as a first film, both are well used ISO 400 emulsions and are great for general purpose picture taking. Getting B&W developed these days is getting difficult as not many hugh street places process it, so you'll have to send it off. I recommend either Club 35 (http://www.club35.co.uk/35mmb&w.html)), Ilford Lab (http://www.ilfordlab.com/page/57/Black-and-White-Prints-from-Film.htm) or 'The Darkroom' (http://www.the-darkroom.com/fastcart/processing.html) for this. (If you don't want prints and just scans with Club 35, go here http://www.club35.co.uk/cd.html)

Or if you want colour then there are lots of great colour negative film to choose from, for easy general purpose use then standard Kodak Gold 200 or Ultra 400, Fuji Superia 200 or 400 will be fine. However if you want something thats that bit better then the ones to try are Kodak Ektar (ISO 100 high saturation film usually used for landscapes, very fine grain and wide exposure latitude) and Kodak Portra 400 (designed for portraiture, but can be generally used for anything, very fine grain for an ISO 400 film and can be underexposed up to 2 or 3 stops with hardly any increase in grain or loss of shadow detail. Plus it can be overexposed up to 3 stops fine, I'd love to see digital do that! The very latest in film technology and truely revolutionary. Theres also a similar 160 speed version for when you don't need the extra speed). These can be processed in pretty much any minilab in the land but Club 35 and the Darkroom as mentioned above are my choices for developing my colour neg films.

Have fun!

There are also C41 process black and white films from both Kodak and Fuji, which you should have no problem getting processed on the High Street - although you may need to point out "C41" on the label a couple of times. Boots has had the Kodak version on 3-for-2 for quite a while now.

Am i right in thinking that aperture and shutter speed will be the same for the given iso of the film as it would be in digital? It would make sense to base digital on how film is exposed, but just need to check...

Isn't the TC-X AE or Program only?

Ignore that. I think I was thinking of the FP-1.

Anyway, 135mm is a nice lens, I have a couple of them. Slide out hood is a cool feature.

just run a few pound shop rolls of film through it to get the feel of it, then grab some decent film (XP2 for BW or Portra 400 / velvia 50 for colour) and away you go! :) good luck!

Back