Radio Triggers (attaching to flash gun)

I

Ian T

In the post today I received a set of cheap and nasty radio triggers. Before I splash out on some decent ones, I wanted to have a play around. Anyway, the receiver unit has a big (6mm) headphones-style jack, with a converter to take it down to 3.5mm. On the receiver is also a strange-looking connector (X-sync), a bit like a mini phono. Supplied is a lead that connects to this and goes to a slightly different 3.5mm. Still with me? Here's a photo...

rf-6161.jpg

So how do I connect the receiver to my SB-600 flashgun, which only has a hot-shoe mounting? Do I have to buy something to convert the X-sync to hotshoe?

Thanks for any help.

You need a PC sync port, with your SB600 does not have. You need a hot shoe PC sync port adapter. Not sure where to get one for the SB600. This is the standard connector for pocket wizards too so you either need the adapter or get a flash that has the port.

Actually I did not read the thread too carefully... that will teach me.... what Steep said.

What a moron! I'd seen them the other week! I do that all the time, just glance at something and pick it up without properly looking into the details. I'd say that'll teach me a lesson, but it won't - I'll keep being stupid! Oh well, looks like I'll have to buy another one, unless anyone knows of a way of rigging it.

Thanks for pointing out my error!!

HAHAHAHA.........

You did exactly the same as me ......

I ended up giving them away to someone on here ;-)

Cheers,
Carl.

yep that should do the trick! (y)

Be sure that that receiver will work with your transmitter though...

Cheap and nasty they may be but I have taken over a thousand shots with ebay slaves which i bought as a trial before I went all the way and bought PWs. No need for PWs once you get used to firing (any old) flash set to manual with the set Steep suggests and get shots like this:
511330734_bf3b61ca49.jpg

That's an awesome shot.

My main intended use is for BMX photography, so that's more or less what I'm aiming for. I bought the extra receiver - by the looks of things it should work ok with the transmitter. £7 posted, so can't argue with that!

Sorry Ian I don't think it will work. the set you have is 16 channel and the one you've ordered is 4 channel. You'll have a hell of a time trying to figure out if any of the channels from the different sets match up.

Try this No1
your flash sits on it and the X-sync lead plugs into it from your reciever. Alternatively No2 will sit your flash on top of the reciever directly to fire it. One problem with these is if you intend to use them with a light stand and umbrella it makes the flash sit very high and off centre inside the umbrella.

I've done quite a bit of research on this lately (and a fair amount of shopping too) so if you've any questions just ask.

No2 is what you want I think, I have this for Mountain Biking photos and off camera flash.

Regards,
Carl.

No 2 is what I have with 4 slaves. One ha a higher triggering voltage (special order) which brings back into play my old 540 speedlight. Great.

I want to take some BMXing shots but the facilities have gone here so you have to find them on the street now. Bloody shame!

Yes, the no.2 type receiver is what I just bought. If I buy the adapter for the x-sync then I'll have two receivers, one for each of my flash guns. And it'll still all have cost me only about £30! Thanks again for the advice chaps.

where'd you get the high voltage one from Gary? There's problems triggering the minolta/sony flashes and I think it needs a bigger whack.

Is this the same thing as #2 ? Looks like it?

where'd you get the high voltage one from Gary? There's problems triggering the minolta/sony flashes and I think it needs a bigger whack.
Kev

I just emailed them first asking if it would fire my EZ as they were not listed. They said to order a high triggering voltage. When they arrived they all looked the same (although identified in packaging) so I had to mark it myself on the case so as not to risk frazzing my modern flash.

There was a lot of discussion of this on the strobist group at the time Kev so I kinda knew what to expect.

HTH!

Gary

So what are the advantages of Pocket Wizards? Better build quality and range?

Yep!

They can also trigger cameras as well as strobes and have synch abilities if you want to go down that route (this would be important for studio work especially).

what kind of Nikon camera do you have?

Couldn't you have just used the CLS system built in?

ands doesn't the sb600 have a sensor for manual slaving?

I know I can just use the d70/d200 and sb800 wirelessly without any extra kit!

The reason for not using any inbuilt camera controller systems is that 1)it limits you to line of sight use between the camera and flashes 2) they can be tempremental in strong sunlight 3)it's all about taking control of you lighting using manual settings.

1)it limits you to line of sight use between the camera and flashes

Never had a problem really. outdoors or indoors, it seems reflected light from the onboard flash to trigger the strobes seems to be powerful enough. maybe not enough in this case.

2) they can be tempermental in strong sunlight

not really had to deal with this one yet.

3)it's all about taking control of you lighting using manual settings

Power set manually from the back of the d200 in the wireless flash menu. 2 different groups. ez pz ;)

I guess I may be missing the point though. I'm not sure I'd trust the cls over long distances, plus the preflashes for communication do tend to delay the exposure somewhat after you've pressed the shutter release!

I know I can just use the d70/d200 and sb800 wirelessly without any extra kit!
Yes, the SB600 does have a sensor (although unlike the SB800 it can't be used as a trigger) but my D50 isn't any use with it. Perhaps another reason to upgrade to a D80...

Got the replacement receiver today - seems to work fine. Will sync up to about 1/800th of a second, which is far faster than I'll ever need. Also works with an ancient 'National' flash-gun, so if I buy a second receiver for a whole seven quid then I've got too flashes set up...

good news :)

Back