Raid Storage

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
Over the years I have accumulated a number of drives, which are getting full again and want to invest in a raid system to cover myself for drive failure and increase storage.

Over the past few days I have done a bit of digging and want something that is a bit future proofed and gives me the ability to increase volumes as and when I need them. I've come to the conclusion that a raid enclosure of 4 + bays with thunderbolt may be my best bet.

Just to add, I have a Mac and cloud storage at present

I found various storage enclosures but this one is my preferred item at present is an Akitio Thunder 3 Quad X (https://www.akitio.com/desktop-storage/thunder3-quad-x)

Anyone got any other options or comments on the above?

If you're looking at thunderbolt then you want a raid das.

G-technology, startech will do something. But being thunderbolt it won't be cheap. Usb3 will be more cost effective and noticeably just as fast if running spinning disks.

Remember to back it up, raid is no substitute for backups.

If you're looking at thunderbolt then you want a raid das.

G-technology, startech will do something. But being thunderbolt it won't be cheap. Usb3 will be more cost effective and noticeably just as fast if running spinning disks.

Remember to back it up, raid is no substitute for backups.

Thanks for the info Neil, I've noticed that Thunderbolt is very expensive. I have no intention of running SSD's yet, so you think TB may be a waste of time if that is the case? It will defiantly expand the choice if it is

I've been happy with QNAP if you're looking into other companies devices.

Thanks Jason, will have a look, I noticed the TB were quite expensive though, but if Neil is correct above I will look into a USB3 option

Thanks Jason, will have a look, I noticed the TB were quite expensive though, but if Neil is correct above I will look into a USB3 option
I use some g tech drives. My main drive is a g tech pro with thunderbolt (I gather it’s got 4 drives running RAID 0 so it takes advantage of the TB connection). Backup drive is a g tech studio running raid 1 to the two 3tb drive. This is TB too but doesn’t have a speed advantage as the hard drives that are the limiting factor. The reason I went with TB connections is because I only have 4 USB ports and they were getting quite full. Needed to release some space on the USB ports.

Thanks for the info Rob, I've got 3 G Tech drives attached via USB at current, so I hear what you are saying. I am tempted by one of the G Raid devices, but they are only 2 drive bays, decisions, decisions

Back