Rainbow rain

Edit My Images
Yes
I guys
I posted this one in the wrong category as it was originally a landscape shot that developed as it got dark and is now not really a landscape!. I really like the effect that the light gives the rain and have had this one out onto a big canvas where I think it looks great. I'd like to do more of this type of picture and would like some advice on how to improve it.
Any feedback gratefully received

Rainbow Rain by Objohnuk, on Flickr

I'm not really sure what to make of the :thinking: I had to look at it as big as I can on your flickr to see the colours, what has caused the dashed lines in there :thinking: I do like the colours though (y)

I think that I'd try and give the colours a little more of a pop in PP :thinking:

Matt
MWHCVT

Hi Mat,
Thanks for the reply. The shot was taken on quite a long shutter speed, and I have to admit that I'm not quite sure what caused the dotted lines on some of the rain. There is no PP on this at all and to be honest I'm not quite sure what to do other then maybe increase the colour temperature. I'm not really up to full speed with some of the PP techniques but will have a go and post the results.
An tips?
Thanks again

well obviously the rainbow is created by the diffraction of light though whatever medium, be it rain, perspex or whatever.... though I don't "get" this photo.

I completely understand from a physical point of view as to what has happened, but unsure as to what you are looking for... as a lot of dead space, and some refracted light through some rain........

Thanks Lynton
As to what I was looking for, it was just for something a bit different to use as wall art. The image printed on a large canvas works really well. Some advice that would be appreciated is how to improve this shot and more that I do in future using the same technique. For example would the community advise any particular filters?

I agree about the dead space, and had thought about cropping but I think that it would take too much of the rain out of the image.

Mats suggestion of upping the saturation will be tried to see if that brings out more of the colour.

Hi john

what is the beam of light? and is it urm looking down on it or at 90 degs ie eye line if that makes sense, I like it, I can see a definite diagonal through the middle of the light so I did a quick edit HYDM I rotated it a little so it goes top left to bottom right corners, it also with a crop allowed to cut out a tiny bit of the black negative space, but not to much as this image needs it, I also added a light vignette and cloned out the red dots and slight colour boost.

6865772187_63c6e95f31_b.jpg

Dave :)

Last edited:
Hi Dave
Thanks for the edit I can really see the difference. The light was pointing up to the right at a diagonal. The rain wasn't quite vertical but that just makes it more interesting. The actual light was a ships search light as we were on a boat at the time.

Glad you like the image

Back