Rallying night-shots advice...

• Thread starter reddeathdrinker
  • Start date
R

reddeathdrinker

Off to Mull this weekend for the Tour of Mull Rally, looking forward to the night stages on Saturday night - got an SB-600 ordered, not sure whether it will be here in time or not (UK seller on eBay, here's hoping!), but will be getting a loan of an SB-800 if not (might just take both if poss).

What sort of settings should I be looking at using? D300, 24-70mm f/2.8 and the flash (either on, or off camera). Even just a rough guide to point me in the direction of not ruining too many pics would be helpful!

I'm getting all exited - 4 hour drive, an early Saturday morning ferry, lots of rally action, and another ferry back on Sunday (Fishnish to Lochaline, AND the Corran Ferry - only way off the island on Sunday!). And then 5 hours or so back:wacky:

I would definitely use manual flash - take a few test shots to see what works, you want to make it look like it's night time, so don't want the car massively brightly lit really.

I would definitely use manual flash - take a few test shots to see what works, you want to make it look like it's night time, so don't want the car massively brightly lit really.

That was the thinking - 1/250, f/8, ISO200 sort of manual... or am I way off base?

Ideally you want the flash off-camera to stop the decals reflecting straight back.
2123491026_225be97660.jpg

Or you could just skip the whole flash idea:
2123491538_a63a20f9a9.jpg

2123492664_d3c51f95d2.jpg

these are some of my best shots all be it not motor sports but sport. Off camera mounted flash with cheap ebay triggers.

img4529zk8de3.jpg

img4541ny9yq0.jpg

img4573ir9ln7.jpg

All good advice - keep it coming:) I've got a set of cheap eBay triggers on their way as well - hopefully get them in time for the weekend.

It's not so much a learning curve, more a learning vertical line...

Back