RAW / 50D - Am I missing something?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

I have a Canon 50D, and have recently started shooting in RAW. I have an Imac 24" with CS3 and Lightroom (1.4 I think) which I want to use for conversion.

When I download the photos I can only open them in DPP and have to transfer them to Photoshop - why can't Lightroom open the original RAW files? When I try I just get an error message saying that the files are corrupt even though they aren't. I have tried updating Lightroom but it says its up to date, I seem to recall an Apple update recently for a new RAW format but nothing for Lightroom. Am I missing something? I don't like the layout of DPP and find it quite clunky. I know there is a Lightroom version 2 but surely 1.4 should be ok too?

Have you updated the adobe camera raw file recently?

Wow that was quick!

I will try and update Adobe Camera Raw - how do I do this? I know what I'm doing with PC's but I'm new to Mac and although I'm getting by there are certain things that are a bit "odd" if you're used to PC's.

If this doesn't work I guess I'll have to buy Lightroom 2, but that does seem a bit off when it's less than a year since I bought 1.4...

Many thanks guys for your input...

Updating camera RAW will have no effect on the RAW file support of lightroom. The only way to update the RAW file support of Lightroom is to update to lightroom 2 (since 1.4 was the last update for lightroom 1.x).

You could use the DNG Converter by Adobe to get around this issue, it's free and saves you updating to LR 2 if only for this issue.

Heres the Link but as was mentioned above it looks like you need lightroom 2 or cs4 to use it.

The ACR file will need updating. This is the protocols that LR and Photoshop use to understand RAW files.

It may be that you'll need to upgrade to LR2 but new versions of ACR are being released regularly to bring new cameras into the system.

Just to clear up any confusion that may be cause here, Lightroom IN NO WAY uses ACR at all. Even though it uses ACR internally, the latest version of ACR is included in Lightroom exe when you do an update. It in NO WAY interafaces with the ACR accessed by photoshop, unless you are using smart objects, which requires lightroom 2 and photoshop 10.0.0.1 (first update to cs3) or greater.

Back