raw processing and output sze...

Edit My Images
No
I typically use RSP for raw processing then go to PS to finish up - but had a play with ACR and was intrigued by the option for output size. Typically I have been using the 100% output size from RSP which gives 3519x2345 pixels but I'm wondering, does anyone use the up-sizing option for their images to create bigger files than their 8mpix cameras perhaps make i.e. 100% up to 150%?
the 100% tiff produced is almost 50mb, an upsized is going to be massive!!

Yes.. upsizing is pretty essential these days as many image libraries insist on a minimum 50mb image size and no sharpening applied, so it needs to be a very technically good image to start with.

I haven't used the RSP upsizing option, preferring to use PSP or Genuine Fractals Pro. Alien Skin is another upsizing programme you can use.

Good question. I always have upsized after processing. Not sure when the best time to upsize is, just assumed it was like any sharpening, you did that last. :shrug:

Interested to read what others have to say.

ah ha...the debate opens. and quite possibly I'll have to go back and reprocess things, took me long enough the first time round! :bang:

just tried it as big as I can go with ACR, ~270mb for an image!! holy cow.

Well if you're going to upsize a 25 mb Tiff image to 50mb it's not too bad if there's no cropping involved. When quite substantial cropping is involved though it's a different matter altogether - to hit that 50mb target size and retain image quality, I find around a 300% file size increase to be about the absolute limit.

For Submission to the image libraries, if any upsizing is needed it is done in stages ie approx 10-15% per stage in an action so its fully automated.

Take the 1dmk2n for example to submit to one agency you need a 48mb file, so thats an up-size of 145%, the 1dsmk2 will even need a 103% up-size to make it. (all sizes are for 8 bit images)

None of my files submitted to images libraries / agency's are cropped they are all shot and composed to fit the frame. This gives you the maximum detail in the images. As it is quite easy to get images rejected for lack of detail / softness if you have to resort to high ISO, and cropping.

Some agency's will only take images from certain models of camera, and they don't allow any up-sizing.

Every image library / agency have their own set of rules for submission, so you soon end up with hundreds of actions for the varying submissions, and if you process for clients you have a computer full of actions and default settings for all sorts of things.

Back