RAW Processing

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi
just started shooting in RAW and i've read/heard that RAW files need some further processing once they've been imported into the computer....

what kind of things typically need doing to RAW files as thus far I've not embarked on any post image processing.... does shooting JPEG get away from the need to do this?

I shoot raw...and use Photoshop Elements 6.0 for my post-processing. You'll find that many raw photos are flat, without adequate depth and dimension. With PSE 6 you have almost the same tools as the full Photoshop CS. What you need to adjust will depend on the types of shots you take, the color format you choose and so on.

RAW gives you a ton of control over your image...but it also means you'll have to PP nearly every image. Depends on where you want to spend your time. LOL

You'll find that many raw photos are flat, without adequate depth and dimension

How would you go about fixing that?

I have also just started shooting in RAW, and find that most of my photos come out fine, yet they seem to have different brightness levels in different pieces of software. I know this is because each software uses its own colour profile when reading RAW files, but how can I know what to do to improve the photo?

Thanks

How would you go about fixing that?

I have also just started shooting in RAW, and find that most of my photos come out fine, yet they seem to have different brightness levels in different pieces of software. I know this is because each software uses its own colour profile when reading RAW files, but how can I know what to do to improve the photo?

Thanks

Check the instructions, help files and manuals to the software for best (or safe) practices.
It usually involves adjusting image brightness, curves, saturation, channels, sharpness (can be done in an image editor fairly safely if you don't use a jpeg encoded file as a mediator), noise reduction (there's some nice noise reduction software available, it's not always cheap, but e. g. Neat Image and Noise Ninja work well and tend to preserve a decent amount of details while knocking the noise down a bit), etc. It is very often individual and subjective, as sometimes you have to make up for the gear's imperfections.
You might want to create your own presets if possible (custom presets tend to be a better start than completely neutral settings).

Thanks. I use Paint.NET at the moment for editing my images. I'll just need to keep fiddling until I get a feel for how to adjust the photo to my liking.

I shoot raw...and use Photoshop Elements 6.0 for my post-processing. You'll find that many raw photos are flat, without adequate depth and dimension. With PSE 6 you have almost the same tools as the full Photoshop CS. What you need to adjust will depend on the types of shots you take, the color format you choose and so on.

RAW gives you a ton of control over your image...but it also means you'll have to PP nearly every image. Depends on where you want to spend your time. LOL

Reading this post has cheered me up a little!

I've recently started up my photography again after a few years break, I used to shoot RAW before so naturally carried on. I use a Nikon D70 and have been thinking exactly what you said about RAW photos being flat and dimensionless, landscape shots from my last two days of shooting have been flat, colourless and rather drab to say the least...now I know it's down to shooting RAW, and not just my poor skill level behind the lens! :LOL:

I shoot everything in RAW now and I've no plans to go back to JPEG, but I do find that I spend ages fiddleing with images and feel that there is a real possibilty that Photo Shop has stolen my soul and I've been sucked into black hole, thrown in to a digital vortex and now live in a parallel time continuum where only me and my 'puter live in 'normal time' with the rest of the world passing by in a blur......

I shoot everything in RAW now and I've no plans to go back to JPEG, but I do find that I spend ages fiddleing with images and feel that there is a real possibilty that Photo Shop has stolen my soul and I've been sucked into black hole, thrown in to a digital vortex and now live in a parallel time continuum where only me and my 'puter live in 'normal time' with the rest of the world passing by in a blur......

I must admit I've always got on well with RAW in the past, I didn't do much outside small adjustments in exposure and brightness/contrast. Curves/Saturation etc don't mean a lot to me I'm afraid!

I think I might trawl Amazon and see if there are any definitive books to aid me in my quest!

One thing that really gest me sometimes is colour management! :puke:

I'll add that one real plus with shooting RAW is that you can later adjust white balance to exactly what you want with ease in PSE or CS.

2 things I can suggest:

1) Download a trial version of Adobe Lightroom. Even if you don't intend to shell out the cash after the trial it's worth having a play and understand exactly the sort of manipulation that's possible with RAW files.

2) Not sure what body you're using but somone once advised me to change my D80s colour space from sRGB to the Adobe one (RGB 1998), that way when you are processing (assuming you are using Adobe products) that colour changes/fluctuations are reduced. Must admit it hasn't done any harm!

JM2C

I adjust the white balance using Canon DPP, then convert the image to a TIFF file for further work using photoshop. I endeavour to restrict the photoshop adjustments to adjusting the levels, cropping the image if necessary and then applying unsharp mask. If I have to do more than this then I think that my technical skills have failed.

I guess that also depends on what your focus is from photography...

Two scenarios:

#1 Go out, shoot landscape/model/architecture, come back choose one of your shots of each subject (from hundreds) as the best composition and then spend hours buffing it up into something spiffy. Result, one or two lovely beautiful pictures, deadlines not important.

#2 Go out, shoot several thousand action photos, come back and pick out every one that is suitably dramatic. PP for proofs and send off... maybe a couple of hundred (if you are lucky and using a decent camera) that have to be there both by a deadline and before everyone else gets there.

Scenario 1 is a work of love, scenario 2 is a mad frantic rush.

There is no time in #2 for love! Your composition and exposure need to be done in camera. Fiddling with levels and using crop and clone tools is not something you have time for, its all in the eye on the day.

Back