RAW>TIFF>JPEG workflow? Advice required.

Edit My Images
Yes
Wondered what the best workflow is for keeping shots sharp.

I have recently started shooting in RAW all the time and think, but only think, that my best work flow is

RAW..process in RSP.

open in

CS2...Levels, curves etc.

save as TIFF.

Re-open and then save as a Jpeg in CS2 so I can display it assuming I wish to share it.

Or,

RAW, edited in RSP then save as TIFF via CS2 and then run through DxO which converts it to a jpeg.

Also, can I print a tiff?

Thanks,

Diego.

Certainly can print from tiff. Although many online abs want jpegs just because of file sizes.

Output fom RS as a tiff, save as a tiff, resave as a jpeg at whatever compression suits you. Even saving as fairly high compression wont affect the sharpness to much, much more likely to remove fine detail and introduce artefacts.

I tend to leave sharpening on in RS, but turned down a smidge as i find it just too harsh at it's default settings. I then don't sharpen the tiff I save out of photoshop until I need to print it, then I use nik-sharpener pro, which turns out pretty good results. If I'm savinf a jpeg for display on the interenet I always make sure it's resized with bicubic sharper, then if it needs anymore sharpening I do it as the final stage.

HTH?

P.s. I tried DxO but was very unimpressed with both the user interface and the output quality.

Now waiting for nikon capture NX, cos it's going to be fanastic from what I've read!

Thanks a lot, appreciate the reply.

DXO is a strange beast in that it can help some stuff but I know what you mean about it.

Diego.

Gandhi said:
Now waiting for nikon capture NX, cos it's going to be fanastic from what I've read!

Would that be as replacement ... or supplemental software Gandhi ...:thinking:

Ghandi - let me know how you get on with that - I'm thinking about that myself.

Back