raynox and lens?

Name
dave
Edit My Images
Yes
hello guys, looking at experimenting with some macro over the summer since im not at college but need some help first.

im looking at the extension tubes and the raynox 250, i know the extension tubes are more expensive and would look better but the raynox does look good from what iv seen too.

the questions i have are;

can either or both be attached to proper macro lens in case i want one in future? if so, what magnification does it give me?

i have a tamron 17-35mm, canon 24-105mm, canon 50mm and sigma 70-200mm, what would be bet lens to use with either?

and focussing rails? do i need one? anyone know of something cheap if i do?

thanks

The Raynox DCR-250 has a pinch clip, like on a lens cap and will fit anything from 52-67mm, so unfortunately it wont work on the 77mm 24-105.
If my memory serves the 250 gives around +8 magnification.

I use mine mainly on my Canon S5 IS, I make short macro films with varying degrees of success. I've used it on my 17-85 IS too and it does give some good results.

Be warned though, the DoF is extremely narrow. The DCR-150 is another lens that isn't as strong, and you get more DoF with it.

A focussing rail would be advisable. Manfrotto make one that's affordable.

Be warned though, the DoF is extremely narrow. The DCR-150 is another lens that isn't as strong, and you get more DoF with it.

:plus1:

I own the 250 and wouldn't bother with the 150 if you're planning on shooting tiny insects. The DOF is shockingly small though, I've never owned a macro lens so I wouldn't know if this was bad or not but it can be tricky sometimes.

thanks for the replies, so it will need to be my 50mm i use? is this good enough lens to use it with?

as for a proper macro lens, i have owned both the tamron and sigma macro lenses but never really got much of a chance to use them, hence i want to try something else out first.

See here, post #4:
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=233505

At a tenner from fleBay, its an option . . . ?

A very short DOF is one of the crosses to bear with Macro . . . its not a good idea the way I understand it to go smaller than F11? I seem to read that IQ starts to deteriorate after this, any one confirm?

I have a set of extension Kenko tubes that I used with my Nikon 50mm f1.8 prime last year, only got the chance to have one session, came up with this:

Incy-wincy-spider
SpiderrwreducedDSC_1685_edited-1.jpg

Found this when I went looking for the spider in my macro folder, taken last week with a 4x close-up lens (filter type) using Hazels G1/14-45mm at 45mm FL:

Bedding Marigold
1MarigoldrwP1000055.jpg

There is also a fair bit and sample pictures on the Raynox 250 in the GF1 and G1 threads 'Talk Equipment' long threads, so you will have to dig a bit . . .

CJS

Last edited:
Focussing rails are only useful for still life / static subjects, master shooting handheld if you intend to shoot insects or flowers in the wild, especially with the Raynox due to its high mag (2.5x), master this and you're laughing. I've got one of the eBay 4 way rails, they work but they need fettling as the screws tend to be loose and the rails are initially very jerky and require a bit of tuning and lubing. Frankly they rarely get used as I'm shooting handheld 99% of the time and in the studio I just move my subject if needs be!

Hi, I had some good success with the raynox on my sigma 70-300mm which i used mostly around the 200mm mark. I also have tubes which i now use on my tamron 90mm macro lens. I can use the raynox on it too but have'nt done so much .

thanks for the replies guys.

the raynox will be here eventually, its ordered from amazon so fingers crossed i get to play with it soon!

if i like it i may just order some extension tubes and a dedicated macro lens, the sigma and tamron macros seem to go for around £200 mark and are good for portraits too.

Back