Raynox DCR-250 - how to use?

Name
Michelle
Edit My Images
Yes
I'd just received a Raynox DCR-250 macro attachment, but (although it's probably very simple), I can't seem to figure out how to use it!

I have a 450d and 18-55mm lens, and I've used the attachment that came with the Raynox, squeezed it and just put it on the front of my 18-55 - is this right?? It doesn't look right, but then there doesn't seem to be any other way to do it.

I also can't imagine it's right as I've put it on manual focus, but no matter what I do I can't get anything in focus.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
The lens just clips onto the front of the lens. It grips onto the thread that will usually hold a filter.

The Raynox is a super bit of kit but it does have an insainly shallow depth of field and you do have to get close to the subject and zoom in for best results. A tripod is also very handy! Also use Live view on your camera if it has it. Makes life a little easier.

Last edited:
I bought the 150 for that reason that 250 has very shallow dof. You have to put the lens very close to the subject. Move the whole camera to roughly get it in focus and fine tune. Live view and 10x zoom helps as mentioned.

The DCR 250 has a smaller depth of field for the sole reason that it is more powerful than the 150. The closer you go, the shallower DoF gets.

Yeah that’s what I’ve done, just clipped the squeezy bits to the very front of the lens. That’s’ good then, at least I’m doing something right!

I’ve got live view, so I’ll try that, thanks. I'll also try moving the camera rather than the focus and see what that does.

I’m not sure whether it’s the lighting I’m using, but if I get too close, the camera won't take the picture, but if I stand back from the object then all I get is a giant blur.

I also have a 55-250mm lens, so I’ll try it with that as well.

I just can’t seem to get the hang of it – I’m a complete macro newbie, in case you couldn’t tell….! :D

the 55-250mm is a more suitable lens to use the raynox on. It's designed for longer focal lengths.

Ah OK, whoops. I've only just taken up photography so this is all very new to me.

In my head I couldn't understand the logic of using the larger lens for macro... But I'm still learning! :)

The distance from the subject to the lens is critical with the 250. It needs to be about 4 inches.

With the lens attached to a zoom lens like the 55-250, you change the magnification by altering the amount of zoom. You may find it easier to start with a small magnification, which you will get at 55mm.

So, with the lens at 55mm, get the distance from the lens to the subject about 4 inches - you then presumably have two options to get good focus (I use a bridge camera so I'm not quite sure how this would work with your camera.) Either use manual focus, set the focus to infinity, and move the camera towards and away from the subject, around a four inch distance, until you see the image come into focus, then take the photo. Or, with the camera in auto-focus, half-press the shutter button and see if you get "in focus" confirmation. If you do, take the picture. If not, move the camera towards/away from the subject and try again, keeping the distance within 4 inches or so.

The depth of field will be very narrow. You get the maximum depth of field by using the smallest aperture available to you (the largest f-number, quite possibly f22). A lot of people won't use the smallest possible aperture because when you do you get an effect known as "diffraction", which makes the part of the image that is in focus less sharp. So, there is a trade-off between more depth of focus (smaller aperture) versus more sharpness (larger aperture - up to a point. There will be a "sweet spot" for sharpness, perhaps around f5.6. Using a larger aperture than that may decrease both the depth of focus and the sharpness.)

Brilliant help, thank you all. And GardenersHelper - that was very comprehensive, thank you.

I've just got home and taken the advice given - although I'm not exactly getting anything amazing, I'm actually able to focus now, whereas before I was just getting constant blur!

I can completely see what you mean about the DOF issue now though.

I originally thought it was going to be one of those issues where I wouldn't notice - like when someone posts a pic on here, and other people start pointing out issues that I can't even see, whilst I'm just thinking "what a great picture!" But no, it really is massively obvious! :)

But still, seems great for the price, and perfect for my needs.

I'm going to go play now, thanks all :D

Like you I've just got the Raynox.I'm also very pleased that I've got a focussing rail as well.

I simply could not use the Raynox on my 100mm Canon macro lens without it.

It produces some amazing results though.

BTW I've never used a tripod, I allways take them hand held.

Looking at playing with one of these too mainly for personal projects. I'm thinking of using it with a Nikon 50 1.8, any experience?

Looking at playing with one of these too mainly for personal projects. I'm thinking of using it with a Nikon 50 1.8, any experience?

Works fine, no vignetting.
Not quite as effective as it is on longer focal lengths though.

85 1.4 better then? I have a 70- 200 2.8 vr too but figure that's too big

Shell, I'm in exactly the same position as you! Complete newbie to photography. I've just got myself a 450d with an 18-55mm and a 55-250mm the same as you. I've also ordered myself a raynox 250 :)

If you manage to get any shots with it are you going to put them up? I'd be intersted to see what someone with (probably) a similar skill level to me could achieve with it :)

Edit: I forgot to mention. That was a great post GardenersHelper.

Last edited:
Received my DCR 250 yesterday as well, had a quick play with it on several lenses, great results on my 18-200, just keep experimenting Michele and I am sure that you will be impressed, have fun!

JON

Thanks all, some really great advice and links.

I've been using it on a tripod so far as I don't have a rail and I'm pretty shaky, but I'll give it a go without.

And Gaz - nice to know someone's in the same boat as me :) If I manage to get anything (that I'm not so embarrassed about :) ) I'll be sure to post it up. Likewise, when you get yours.

I wish mine would hurry up and arrive LOL.
Fingers crossed Mr postie will bring it today!

I've been using it on a tripod so far as I don't have a rail and I'm pretty shaky, but I'll give it a go without.

FWIW, and IMO .... And sorry for the long post, but ... there is a practical suggestion at the end.:) (And the less powerful 150 makes all of this a bit easier BTW).

Indoors, when I am working with flat surfaces (the floor for the tripod, and a table or similar for the subject), and I can take my time adjusting everything, then I find I can can use the tripod in the "normal" way - set up the shot, put on the self-timer, press the button and wait for the camera to settle down before the shot is taken.

Outdoors, which is where I do almost all my macro work, I often find it difficult to use a tripod in that way.

To get a really sharp picture with the 250 and make the most of the limited DOF you need to get the distance right, and getting that degree of exactness out of a tripod can be tricky with uneven ground and subjects in odd positions and at odd angles. For example, depending on the way the tripod works, it may be difficult to make very precise adjustments, and once you have done the adjustment, focused and pressed the shutter button and let go, the tripod may "relax" into a slightly different position, just enough to spoil things.

Timing can also be an issue with using the self-timer out of doors. The slightest puff of wind can ruin things, and around here at least it is rare to get a day when the air is completely still. I often have wait for a moment when the subject is momentarily still to take the shot and the self-timer doesn't give me enough control for this.

Another timing issue is that when the light is strong enough to use a fast shutter speed (or you use flash as the main light source) you can "freeze" the subject, and avoid blurring from both your hand movements and movement of the subject. However, because the distance to the subject is so important with the 250, if the subject is moving at all it can keep moving in and out of the "good focus" distance. Also, unless your camera can track fine movements of a macro subject very fast (like the Canon 7D), slight movements of the subject will alter where the DOF falls, which can make or break a macro image. This is all another reason for wanting to have complete control over exactly when the photo is taken - when the subject is as still, or slow moving, as possible.

Another approach I use, especially when the subject is moving, is to take a burst of shots (or actually, a number of bursts) in the hope of getting one where everything falls into place.

Because of all this I keep my hands on the camera the whole time so I can make fine adjustments to distance and choose exactly when to press the shutter button, and how long a burst to use. But there is a snag ... my hands shake, quite a lot, and this makes it very difficult (almost impossible) for me to get good control of camera to subject distance while also getting the compositional framing I want.

So, I use a tripod to damp the camera movement. I (usually) keep my hands on the camera, and I don't use the self-timer. But having the camera supported keeps the movements small and centred around a fairly fixed point. This is enough to make it practical for me to frame shots nicely while keeping the distance within acceptable bounds.

As it happens I now use a heavy, complicated tripod with an arm that goes out sideways, up, down etc at any angle, the arm coming off a central column that can go up as normal, or down towards the ground. And I use a focus rail too (in a rather crude fashion).

However, before I got this tripod I used an ordinary one. What I did, and what you might like to try, is to shorten one of the legs to its minimum length, and just use two of the legs - a "bipod". Adjust the height of the legs to suit the height of the subject off the ground. Place the two legs (if you can) on an imaginary line at right angles to a line between the camera and the subject. You can now rock the camera so that its distance to the subject changes, but it doesn't move sideways. It makes getting (and keeping) the distance right and framing the shot much easier (for me) than trying to do it with no support.

I'd just received a Raynox DCR-250 macro attachment, but (although it's probably very simple), I can't seem to figure out how to use it!

I have a 450d and 18-55mm lens, and I've used the attachment that came with the Raynox, squeezed it and just put it on the front of my 18-55 - is this right?? It doesn't look right, but then there doesn't seem to be any other way to do it.

I also can't imagine it's right as I've put it on manual focus, but no matter what I do I can't get anything in focus.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Does the lens go onto the camera , or on to another lens

Back