Ray's a Laugh by Richard Billingham - MACK reissue

Edit My Images
No
I've just found out MACK has recently reissued what I've always thought was one of the best photography books to come out of the UK in the 90s

First published in 1996 to enormous acclaim, Richard Billingham’s Ray’s a Laugh is one of the most significant photobooks of the turn of the twentieth century, as well as a cornerstone work of the Young British Artists generation. Formed of starkly intimate images of Billingham’s often chaotic parental home under the heavy effects of alcoholism and poverty, the book was produced in the 1990s with editors Michael Collins and Julian Germain. This new edition restores Billingham’s original vision for his deeply personal work for the first time. Including numerous unseen images and a distinct approach to sequencing inflected by Billingham’s training as a painter: it constitutes a ‘director’s cut’ and reintroduces a vital and consistently challenging work for a new era.

I'm flagging it here because it was shot on film and I thought someone else might be interested.

I was about to purchase a copy when I noticed that, sadly, some of the images are printed over two pages, across the gutter. Disappointing but I think I'll bite the bullet anyway as my current copy is basically a collection of hastily made scans of a much older OOP edition.

Last edited:
Back