re-processed.....

Edit My Images
Yes
Being as though it's so hackingly cold out, I've been revisiting some of my older shots with different processing techniques......

I'd be interested to know what y'all think about the processing......

Stourhead-Chapel.jpg

Interesting Ghandi ... I think I like ? Is this selective mono ? There is an`awful lot going on in there though ... sort of restless on the eye !

Place looks a bit eerie ... and derelict ?

TFS ...

I like the idea of the red leaves and (relatively) colourless background, but I think the background (the shadows on the building in particular) make the shot a bit too busy for me.:)
Would probably look better if the building showed through the branches a bit more, but I guess that sort of thing would be very difficult to do (well I'd have no idea how to do it :embarasse ).
Great idea though.

Rich

This is the original shot......

Picture-023.jpg

I understand exactly what you mean about the shot being a little busy, I think it's one of the side effects of the size constraints of the forum, At full res on my screen here, (1280x1024) it looks considearbly less so.

I think to bring the building out would've required leaving some saturation in it, and a lot of painstaking work with selections! Either that or a pair of secateurs!

Ven, the image was selectively desaturated using the channel mixer, mostly dropping out everything apart from the red channel and some blue/cyan. Then it was just a case of contrast adjustments and sharpening.

I love the colouring !! :clap: A bit of masking to leave the leaves on the ground "uncoloured" and it would be improved IMHO.

Gandhi said:
Being as though it's so hackingly cold out, I've been revisiting some of my older shots with different processing techniques......

I'd be interested to know what y'all think about the processing......

Well it has certainly made a new interpretation out of it. It looks to have more detail and a somehow sinister quality to it when compared to the original.

Have to say though I don't find either of them easy to look at. I'll take your word for it that it is better larger.

edit: typo

I'm now looking at this on my g/f's uncalibrated lappy. Doesn't look half as good. So i'm gonna blame all your poor colour management for the fact that it doesn't look as good over there!:stir:

had you put this in the critique section then I may have commented on it...but you put it in the photo sharing section so didn't feel it was appropriate to say anything negative here or am I missing the point of the two categories?

Feel free to comment, negative or positive, all feedback is good. At the end of the day everybodies opinion is valid and I'm grown up enough realise that due to the nature of what we do, everything is ultimately subjective. I think the critique forum is intended for more indepth dissection, dissemination and discussion of both technical and aesthetic merits, as opposed to the glib, off hand comments you often get in this one ;)

I find this image difficult to view , especially the edited version. As has been said it is a trifle busy but I can't help but feel that I want to move round and see more of the front of the building. I do like the light but feel that the colour looks a bit wrong in the unedited version.

Perhaps I should try to stop polishing turds lol ;)

Thanks for the feedback peeps, all taken in good faith.

The unedited version is v.small version of the original low quality jpeg that gets squeezed out with the raw files, my camera is set to produce these at low settings for contrast/saturation/sharpness etc. As the light was tricky i suspect it made a dodgy w/b decision. all will contribute to poor colouration.

I agree, tis a tad busy, but I kinda like it for that.

Can't get 'em right every time!

I much prefer your re-processed shot there Spencer. I like the way the leaves stand out against the subtle background colours now. It is a bit busy but it gives the place an air of mystery, and a bit creepy. It could be where Dracula sleeps in the daytime! :shock:

Much improved now Gandhi. :clap:

Well I absolutely love it!
For me the reprocessed shot is a stunner and unlike everyone else I could look at it all day, lol!
I love the way the red vibrant leaves tempt you toward all those eerily muted grabbing branches.
I find it a bit 'Sleepy Hollow' so right up my street ... you can polish my turds anytime! :laugh1:

I'm not sure about the pic itself, tis a tad busy but the selective desaturation helps (If that's what you did?). I like the processing but think I'd try a couple of things.....taking the blue sky out and or just leaving the leaves on the far left in colour or just the leaves on the ground. I don't know but it might help look less busy.

Busy or not but the processed version demands attention compared with the starting point.

Tricky to get selective colour right, has to be the right subject and subtle as it can be-less is more in my opinion. But the new version is much better to my eye

You have a hell of a lot more patients then i have looking at the above

Back