Critique Ready for the hills...

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
No need to be gentle - although I'm very young in my photography hobby, I'm wanting to improve with every shot. This is my first staged shot of a car, so I decided to make my life easier (!?) by shooting at night. I painted a little flash illumination over the front but otherwise it's just a long exposure night shot with a fairly full moon. It was taken with some of the hills (and a loch) of Mull in the background, but I wanted a big expanse of sky so the hills are none of the big ones nearby.

I had the idea for this shot for part of my TP52... but it tends only to be those of us who are actually doing that challenge who visit the threads there, so I hope nobody minds me posting here for more general critique (rather than in relation to a particular "theme").

Fire away!

Mono: Hillclimb at night
by pjm1 (Paul), on Flickr

Thanks Grant - you're right of course, but then that almost silhouetted effect was the "look" I was going for. Perhaps it's more atmospheric (also with the bluetone conversion) than a proper "car picture", per se. I think maybe next time I'd do multiple flash exposures and see what the difference is, though - and which I prefer.

I'm always happy to be told something doesn't work, aesthetically though... that's why I'm trying new things and styles - to find out what does & doesn't!

Cheers.

It was but maybe it shouldn't have been!! I'll only know when I repeat with more light painting (as you suggest) and compare. That's the great thing about learning... it's all just experimentation at this stage!

Back