Really bad light at a wedding venue

I have no idea how many RC weddings we did but it must be getting on for 100 over 10 years, and in that time I only came up against one priest who was anti (and that in Hampstead, of all places). Would that I could say the same about the Prots ...
I haven't shot as many as that, but I can say the same thing, I've never had an issue with an RC priest - but I expect one with every CofE vicar.

I have no idea how many RC weddings we did but it must be getting on for 100 over 10 years, and in that time I only came up against one priest who was anti (and that in Hampstead, of all places). Would that I could say the same about the Prots ...

Blimey Dan, you were lucky, it was my parish priest as well. although he was a bit of a miserable b*gger, because he didn't want us to have the reception with DISCO (remember them) in the church hall - we got both in the end:)

there is a holy trinity of lens for the wedding photographer.... and for very good reason as you now know.

And the trinity is
50mm f1.2
85mm f1.2
135mm f2.0

not cheap, but designed for low light work. Apart from the 85mm which is too slow focus they are excellent for wedding photography

but stupidly expensive - they might possibly be worth hiring for a gig like this, but personally i don't feel the need for more than f1.4 at a fraction of the price (my holy trinity would be a 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 and 50mm f1.4 )

I haven't shot as many as that, but I can say the same thing, I've never had an issue with an RC priest - but I expect one with every CofE vicar.

that - whilst civil celebrants are probably even worse IME

I was having to use between ISO 12800 and ISO 25600 at around 1/80 f4 and even then I had to push an extra stop in PP, and the resulting quality was shocking

Maybe a bit late to this thread, but I've taken a fair few high ISO images in low light (though only the one wedding which I couldn't talk my way out of) and it could be worth mentioning that noise often looks much more acceptable when converted to black and white.

I think it's because people became more used to grain in monochrome film and it has its own aesthetic.

My wife always says that.... "High iso ? Just convert to black and white"

... it could be worth mentioning that noise often looks much more acceptable when converted to black and white.

Indeed. But you could also argue that if you have a noise problem at a wedding in this day and age, the camera and/or lens you're using is the wrong tool for the job. Neither of us can recall having to use a noisy file from a wedding since we were using Canon 10d bodies, which must be getting on for 12 years ago now ...

Indeed. But you could also argue that if you have a noise problem at a wedding in this day and age, the camera and/or lens you're using is the wrong tool for the job

For professional engagements, I'd probably agree with you, but that is not the OP's situation and he has rather limited options.

At the end of the day, it's just another tool in the arsenal.

I would borrow a Nikon D3s or a D4 and a Nikkor 70-200 2.8 lens or a Nikkor 200mm f/2, just for the one shot.
You'd be able to keep it at 125/s and f/2 iso 3200 (very clean) and then maybe lift one stop in post.

I dont know why they are called celebrants, most of them are right sour faced miserable c***s.

Because " I'd like to introduce yourself, I'm tarquin and i'll be your misserable sour faced jeremy today" doesnt work as an introduction

I haven't posted on this subject for a few weeks, because I didn't want to post anything until the happy couple returned from their honeymoon.
The day went fairly well overall, and they are really pleased with the results. I bought a 50mm 1.8 and used it on the 7D. The church was actually darker than when I visited it on the rehearsal. I took around 650 shots in all and culled that down to around 300.
My desktop crashed last week when I was editing, but I had backups, and I hadn't formatted any of the cards, so although it was a right pain, at least I could download them again on my laptop and work on them.
I will post some on the relevant place on the forum today or tomorrow.

Back