Recent Wedding

Name
Nigel Cliff
Edit My Images
Yes
Did a wedding last Saturday in Chirk on the Welsh border,here are just a few from the day concentrating more on the shots that they did not expect when they said the coverage should have some reportage shots in there.

2922634646_2514b7476d.jpg

2921783371_f22722eaca.jpg

2922630564_5c12d78fa0.jpg

2921782447_c9ecc88f67.jpg

Last edited:
Hey CP.

Brave man taking on a wedding. Not wanting to be negative, but the backgrounds would worry me in these, and perhaps flash usage a little.

Still, well done for shooting and posting. Is this your first wedding? How did you find it overall?

Gary.

I have done dozens of weddings and these are just the candids from this one,there were plenty of posed shots where the backgrounds were fine,if you are doing reportage/candids at a wedding then you are looking for the subject as it presents itself and not worrying to much about the backgrounds.The important thing is that the couple were delighted with the overall package that was a mix of posed and candid shots

Even if they are candids CP, you should still be aware of backgrounds and flash usage :)

If they are just snapshots, then fair enough, we shouldnt expect anything more :)

Even if they are candids CP, you should still be aware of backgrounds and flash usage :)

If they are just snapshots, then fair enough, we shouldnt expect anything more :)

This is probably one where we will have to agree to disagree,my view is that you are looking for that moment and capturing it,had I waited to catch the groom feeding the bride cake until I had a better background then the moment would have passed,if you feel that is a snapshot then so be it.

Personally I wouldnt have been happy with these shots, but if the client is happy and you are happy with them.. then thats all that matters :)

Can I suggest some experimentation with bouncing the flash? The light in these looks very harsh with strong shadows.

no offence but they are woefully bad pictures for someone thats done dozens of weddings. looks like you took them on full auto with the direct flash.

Hi CP, I'm by no means an expert but my take on these is:

1. It was obviously intended as intimate shot but the flash is bit harsh and there is too much background showing, I would crop from the top and right so the couple fill the frame more.

2. I'm sorry, I don't like this one, the groom looks like he's hammered and it is very unflattering. Tbh if it was one of mine it would have gone straight in the bin. There again I don't know the couple or what their sense of humour is like.

3. Again the harsh shadows spoil this shot and I think it would have been better in landscape orientation with the pregnant lady on the left third.

4. Shadows again! it looks like you've got something like a Stofen diffusor on the flash which can still produce unwanted shadows. You might want to try something like the Gary Fong Lightsphere (or a Chinese copy) as I've found them to be very useful at diffusing and evening out harsh flash lighting.

I think these had the potential to be good shots but as Foggy as said some practice with bounce flash and/or diffusing would have paid off. You might also want to experiment with some slower shutter speeds (I can't tell what you have used as the EXIF data is not there) as this technique will allow more ambient light in and reduce the flash output. It's not an easy subject and I know I still struggle at times but the effort can be worth it - both for you and the clients.

If you feel that is a snapshot then so be it.

So do you agree that the pics are infact snapshots and not portraits? :)

As has already been said, I wouldnt be happy with these really, I felt I had to back this comment up seeing as its been said now.

So do you agree that the pics are infact snapshots and not portraits? :)

As has already been said, I wouldn't be happy with these really, I felt I had to back this comment up seeing as its been said now.

No I don't agree that they are snapshots they are candid Grab Shots taken on the bounce I was moving between inside and outside and was looking to catch some amusing off the cuff moments which I did,the one with the Groom looking "Smashed" is because he was playing to the camera and they think it is amusing.
Had I posted posed shots with poor lighting and messy backgrounds then I would have expected the comments but these are grab shots with everything on auto just to capture some amusing moments of the day they are not meant to be works of art.

When I spoke to the couple before the wedding and they specified "Off The Cuff" shots,their words not mine I pointed out that they would not be works of art but as I said they liked the overall package of which these are just a small part.

The thing is, my entire wedding was shot 'Off The Cuff' with only about 10 formal/posed shots (i.e. groups of folk outside the church) and the chap got a lot of fantastic 'works of art'.

It's the ability to capture these amusing or unexpected moments, and capture them well, that makes a good wedding photographer for me.

To be honest, if it was my wedding I would be very unhappy with these photos, but obviously it isn't my wedding and if those whose wedding it is are happy with them then that's all that matters.

I knew this thread was gonna go south, and quick :)

Stick around and post more, glad clients are happy!

Gary.

After taking a pasting I decided to pull the plug and take the shots off Flickr,I know am a coward but I have reaccessed my shots after the comments made

Don't look at it as a pasting, and do not let it dent your confidence. Talk Photography is a VERY FRIENDLY forum, it is thankfully also full of honest members who will give great crit. Now, when a PRO posts shots - ie, someone who has "DOZENS" of weddings under his or her belt, he probably looses the "right" by default, to an easy ride so to speak. Just by being a pro, you will automatically get harsher crit, therefore, if you post shots below par, time to take it on the chin and move in :)

Keep posting, and lets see some of your shots you feel are the best,

Gary.

I have posted before and my pics took some heavy crit, but along with it some very helpful pointers.

The first time I took a knock to my confidence but soon realised that those who took the time to comment were doing so to help me out. Its all to help you out, and is meant in a friendly way.

Its also worth remembering that text is a funny thing and what one writes in a friendly way, another can read and see it as not so nice tone. Its not like talking where tone of voice and facial expressions accompany. I'm certain that 99.99999% of all posts/comments on the forum are designed to be friendly. So as Gary says, dont see it as a pasting. Its all meant help at the end of the day.:D

Hmmm.... With no images there... How are the rest of us suposed to learn from them?
How are any of us going to improve if we don't listen and take it on the chin?

are they not still there though? I am looking at them now!

Don't look at it as a pasting, and do not let it dent your confidence. Talk Photography is a VERY FRIENDLY forum, it is thankfully also full of honest members who will give great crit. Now, when a PRO posts shots - ie, someone who has "DOZENS" of weddings under his or her belt, he probably looses the "right" by default, to an easy ride so to speak. Just by being a pro, you will automatically get harsher crit, therefore, if you post shots below par, time to take it on the chin and move in :)

Keep posting, and lets see some of your shots you feel are the best,

Gary.

Thanks for that Gary I would not class myself as a Pro I did for a few years work for a Pro at weekends but now I just do the occasional wedding on recommendation for Friends and friends of friends,I have learned a lot from the comments made here and will take that on board in the future but I feel that now is a good time to close the thread from my point of view which is why I pulled the shots from Flickr.

I know that TP is a friendly place and I have not taken any offense from any of the comments made in fact I have been grateful for them and will in fact make some changes to some of the shots with the couples agreement when they get back off honeymoon.

Anyhow back to Steam Trains this weekend its a lot safer area

Thanks for that Gary I would not class myself as a Pro I did for a few years work for a Pro at weekends but now I just do the occasional wedding on recommendation for Friends and friends of friends,I have learned a lot from the comments made here and will take that on board in the future but I feel that now is a good time to close the thread from my point of view which is why I pulled the shots from Flickr.

I know that TP is a friendly place and I have not taken any offense from any of the comments made in fact I have been grateful for them and will in fact make some changes to some of the shots with the couples agreement when they get back off honeymoon.

Anyhow back to Steam Trains this weekend its a lot safer area

I think basically, flash and backgrounds being sorted would help massively.

Looking forward to seeing more in due course.

Gary.

Back