Recommend a cordless mouse?

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
So for one reason or another I'm spending a lot of time in front of my computer :)

I have an ancient SteelSeries mouse (Rival 100) which I bought solely because the SS Engine works well with a Mac and it was the cheapest mouse that supported it. But I hate cords :) and now I use a PC I can probably buy any mouse I want. So what mouse would you recommend?

I want it to be cordless - but rechargeable rather than swap batteries. I use the 2 thumb buttons on the Rival hundreds of times a day so it needs those plus maybe some other customisable buttons would be good.

I use internet a lot plus a surprising amount of Excel, watch videos, play music and have recently started playing Doom :) And yeah, it needs to be cordless. Haven't really thought about budget.

My normal advice would be to get to a shop and see which is most comfortable and/or which has buttons that fall under the thumb and fingers but for obvious reasons, that's not currently an option. I find my current HP (corded) one comfortable and easy but it's on a lead; it's a BR376AA and there might be a cordless version. I suppose the only real option is to find a selection that meet your requirements then do a comparison based on how comfortable they look. I'm not a fan of ordering a few then choosing once you have them "in hand" but it's probably the only answer at the moment (other than waiting a while before changing.)

@Server Hamster - Aren't Hamsters more likely to be on leads than Mice? I've seen harnesses for Rats, not sure about other forms of Cat food... :p

I've recently converted to a vertical mouse. Much more ergonomic and only about £6 off ebay.

I've recently converted to a vertical mouse. Much more ergonomic and only about £6 off ebay.

Me too, think I paid about 12 quid from Amazon, much more comfortable to use

I too have a Logitech one. I have had the earlier single device one that Paulie-W suggested for several years and have used it in office and when travelling. No problems with it at all.

I have never heard of a 'vertical mouse' so had to look it up :)

Interesting and I would be looking at one when my MS Trackball gives up the ghost................though I have had it for many years :D I got it to overcome RSI like discomfort and it just worked for me. The arm/wrist position with it is between the normal mouse and the vertical type.......just checked the name ~ it is the MS Trackball Explorer.

I have a Logitech one, which I like. Battery is pretty good. Charge it once a month on average. Used for the obvious being here, and Playing COD on steam, so gets hit pretty heavy. Also works really well on my glass desk.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0761YPDNM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks. Interesting to hear you're happy with it for gaming - Logitech unifying receiver is a great idea but I noticed that they say it's too slow for gaming. TBH I'd love one that works with a unifying receiver as then I can swap my Craft keyboard and mouse to different machines together :) Master MX looks *really* nice.

I'd heard of vertical mice but didn't know they had become so popular. To all the people using them - was this to fix an existing RSI-like condition or did you choose one of these to prevent one?

I was just conscious that my wrist was never comfortable on the desk, or edge of the laptop/keyboard. Even with a gel wrist pad, I could never get comfy.
I spend a lot of time at work, and then after work, on my PC/Laptop so its more prevention than cure.

Logitech MX Master.

Too big to be portable, but it's got 8 buttons and 2 wheels, every one of them configurable through the Logitech Options software. Rechargeable. Bluetooth or dongle. Can configure 3 separate device connections.

Biggest downsides are that it's fairly expensive and it's ruined every other mouse for me. When I don't have one available, my workflow suffers. Also, it can only be used right handed. A lot of thumb work involved. Maybe they make a left-handed version, but I've never seen one.

Last edited:
I use a vertical mouse because I have arthritis in my hand and bought one originally to see if it helped
It did

1586191921200.png
How about a 9 button, this the one I swear by, OK not Cordless but.
"left-hand Buttons Forward and Backwards in Browser or Programme
Middle Buttons behind Wheel Forward and backwards in Tabs open
Right-hand Buttons, minimise Windows and Mute Sound.
Other 3 use as normal buttons and Scroll.
Can, of course, be set up as you want?

Alternatively theres this one.

Last edited:
View attachment 274356
How about a 9 button, this the one I swear by, OK not Cordless but.
"left-hand Buttons Forward and Backwards in Browser or Programme
Middle Buttons behind Wheel Forward and backwards in Tabs open
Right-hand Buttons, minimise Windows and Mute Sound.
Other 3 use as normal buttons and Scroll.
Can, of course, be set up as you want?

Alternatively theres this one.

Wow that really looks like a bargain. Not certain how I'd get on with the buttons on the top though. I'm right handed so thumb buttons ont he left work really well.

Logitech MX Master.

Too big to be portable, but it's got 8 buttons and 2 wheels, every one of them configurable through the Logitech Options software. Rechargeable. Bluetooth or dongle. Can configure 3 separate device connections.

Biggest downsides are that it's fairly expensive and it's ruined every other mouse for me. When I don't have one available, my workflow suffers. Also, it can only be used right handed. A lot of thumb work involved. Maybe they make a left-handed version, but I've never seen one.

Yeah I think head says MX Master (for, you know the boring stuff), heart says something like a G903 with charging mousemat :) So the question becomes Master v2 or pay the crazy money for the v3?

Not certain how I'd get on with the buttons on the top though. I'm right handed so thumb buttons ont he left work really well.

I`m right-handed as well and find I use my index finger and fingers to the left and right of it, so no thumb involved

Or you could go down the 2 mouse route, 1 for the boring stuff and 1 for the gaming bit, rather than 1 mouse to rule them all.

That's what I now have, an 8 year old Logitech Performance MX, which I think is the predecessor to or model below the MX Master, and has been a superb bit of kit. Very comfy to use over long periods, nice and chunky for those of us with larger hands and has taken lots of punishment with normal boring stuff like the internet and Lightroom/Photoshop and 6 years of getting hammered playing numerous COD, Battlefield, Crysis etc. FPS games. For the last 2 years it's been relegated from gaming duties by a Logitech G700s gaming mouse, again very comfy and with 7 programmable keys.

So V2 and the G300s ? ;)

Logitech MX Master mk3

I'm a computer engineer by trade and I'm fussy which mouse I use. I've had 4 of these mice, two lost in a house fire last year. I have replaced both of those with new MX mk2 versions as they are a bit cheaper but as far as I can see they are nearly the same. They are nicely weighted, the electronic clutch scroll wheel is responsive and crisp. There are enough buttons to do the normal things and a few programmable ones as well. They are accurate and a real pleasure to use, battery life is good and is quick charging.
I have one of my original ones that survived being roasted in a fire and still works although that maybe not a good recommendation :D
They also come in 3 colours which is nice so I have a white one for my Mac and a black one for my PC. Lastly they don't need the unifying device if you have bluetooth on your pc and can be set to work with 3 different devices quick switching with a little button underneath.

I'm not helping... but the MX Master MX3 is a great bit of kit - nice size; plenty of buttons and as Chris above mentioned the ability to switch to another paired device is handy.
Its a bit big/bulky but I bought a hard-case for it and its goes in my work bag everyday - I've also got a smaller Logitech MX 2S Anywhere mouse which works just as well but its much smaller for travel, etc - I just don't find it as comfortable to use all-day.

I have used basic ones for over 10 years and they have all been fine. Not much help.

Or you could go down the 2 mouse route, 1 for the boring stuff and 1 for the gaming bit, rather than 1 mouse to rule them all.

That's what I now have, an 8 year old Logitech Performance MX, which I think is the predecessor to or model below the MX Master, and has been a superb bit of kit. Very comfy to use over long periods, nice and chunky for those of us with larger hands and has taken lots of punishment with normal boring stuff like the internet and Lightroom/Photoshop and 6 years of getting hammered playing numerous COD, Battlefield, Crysis etc. FPS games. For the last 2 years it's been relegated from gaming duties by a Logitech G700s gaming mouse, again very comfy and with 7 programmable keys.

So V2 and the G300s ? ;)

That's a very good point. I absolutely don't need a dedicated gaming mouse (or even a gaming mouse at all) but then I don't need a new mouse anyway - I just like nice things :) A refurb G300S is £21.50 :D

Logitech MX Master mk3

I'm a computer engineer by trade and I'm fussy which mouse I use. I've had 4 of these mice, two lost in a house fire last year. I have replaced both of those with new MX mk2 versions as they are a bit cheaper but as far as I can see they are nearly the same. They are nicely weighted, the electronic clutch scroll wheel is responsive and crisp. There are enough buttons to do the normal things and a few programmable ones as well. They are accurate and a real pleasure to use, battery life is good and is quick charging.
I have one of my original ones that survived being roasted in a fire and still works although that maybe not a good recommendation :D
They also come in 3 colours which is nice so I have a white one for my Mac and a black one for my PC. Lastly they don't need the unifying device if you have bluetooth on your pc and can be set to work with 3 different devices quick switching with a little button underneath.

Very interested in comparisons between v2 and v3. Reviews when the v2 came out were "this is the best work mouse ever". When the v3 came out it was all "well, it fixed all the *terrible* features of the v2". So I'm really interested to hear a real world comparison of what I get for twice the money.

Half as much money left? ;)

When I first saw the price of the v2, my initial thought was "HOW MUCH? For a MOUSE?" but then I realised that I probably spend as much time (especially at the moment...) using my mouse as I do my car.

Whatever you end up with, enjoy it!

(Just wish my Microsoft trackball's wheel wasn't jerky.)

Just for interest the only thing I could find with the MX3 that was different to the MX2 is slightly better resolution and supposed improvement to the scroll wheel clutch. I've had an MX2 from when they came out as my original Dinovo mouse died after 10 years.

As for " terrible " features they say that about my MX keys keyboard which although was £100 and slightly confusing keyboard layout for both Mac and PC. I looked long and hard at keyboards too and chose this one because its just a joy to use.

Just for interest the only thing I could find with the MX3 that was different to the MX2 is slightly better resolution and supposed improvement to the scroll wheel clutch. I've had an MX2 from when they came out as my original Dinovo mouse died after 10 years.

As for " terrible " features they say that about my MX keys keyboard which although was £100 and slightly confusing keyboard layout for both Mac and PC. I looked long and hard at keyboards too and chose this one because its just a joy to use.

Thanks Chris - as somebody else who appreciates the joy of an MX Keyboard (I have the Craft but it's very similar) - sold. Also, there was a v2 refurb on Amazon for 42 quid :)

Thanks Chris - as somebody else who appreciates the joy of an MX Keyboard (I have the Craft but it's very similar) - sold. Also, there was a v2 refurb on Amazon for 42 quid :)

I was looking at the craft but couldn't decide whether to get one, the MX keys is the exact same keyboard without the scrolly knob device.

I was looking at the craft but couldn't decide whether to get one, the MX keys is the exact same keyboard without the scrolly knob device.

You probably chose right - I don't use the "Crown" nearly as much as I expected :)

I use a Logitech Master MX 2s, before that the original master and now their is a v3 out too! I wouldn't choose any other mouse and I think it will fit perfectly what you are asking for.

Update: I got a Master MX2 refurb. For 42 quid I couldn't resist (or justify the extra for a 3). So far I *really* like it. Still finding my way and figuring out the best use of the side scroll wheel (ATM it changes font size on web pages and scrolls left and right in Excel).

It also came with a unifying receiver which I thought I didn't need as my Craft keyboard came with one. However, after 5 mins of fiddling I now have channel 1 on keyboard and mouse for the desktop and channel 2 for a none BT laptop that I use a lot :)

That's the "right click" finger!

Coincidentally my cordless microsoft mouse at work stopped functioning. It's over ten years old so time to upgrade. Encountered this thread and I took a whim on the MX3. I've used it for literally five minutes and I'm very impressed. I think I might buy one for home use too.

Yeah a couple of weeks in and I'm *very* happy with the MX2. Just being able to swap keyboard and mouse to a different machine by pressing 2 buttons pleases me far more than I expected :)

I have noticed some stuttering with the mouse though. It's possibly down to an over crowded desktop (laptop, 3 monitors, Wacom, coffee....) and using sockets at the back of my PC below the desk. I've reverted to the SteelSeries for gaming but cordless for everyday use is lovely.

In case anyone is curious, you can control multiple PCs without having the Logitech kit, by using apps such as Mouse Without Borders, Barrier, Synergy, etc.

It won't be as smooth as the Logitech one (because those are software rather than hardware), but it's more than OK for most people, except gaming.

Back