Recommend me a compact

Edit My Images
No
Seems I'm doing a lot of travelling these days, and not getting much chance to take pictures of the places I've been, I use 2 1d mkIIs for work, but they are usually in the bag whilst at an airport etc., and not always practical to use. I'd like a decent compact with manual settings, decent image quality, photo quality etc. for general stuff. Any reccomendations?

Canon G9.

Or, if you want wider, Ricoh GX-100 or the new Sigma compact.

Canon G9 hands down. All the modes, including manual, image stabilisation, shoots RAW files and very DSLR like in its operation if that's what you're used to. Beautifully put together too.

I have just bought one of these ... Fuji Z10fd ... (y)

Gets excellent reviews and is a great all round fully functional camera that easily fits into a pocket ... :D

Not sure what colour I ended up with in the end ... :naughty:

:p

Canon Powershot G9 - my son getting for his 10th Birthday...

I didn't persuade him at all :):):)

Yep gonna suggest the Canon G9 also. Don't have one myself but it's on my to buy list :D

Seems like a lot of love for the G9. Been hearing that from other places as well. Might pop down to Jessops and have a look at one, but will probably buy online. Any good deals...?

Seems like a lot of love for the G9. Been hearing that from other places as well. Might pop down to Jessops and have a look at one, but will probably buy online. Any good deals...?

Well remember Jessops price match Warehouse Express (y)

I actually had a good deal from Jessops with minor blagging on my part. They tend to tell you they only price match shops in a 20 mile radius if you phone up. You need to pop in and once they know you're buying, they're only too ready to talk a deal although I think you need to speak to the management.

I actually had a good deal from Jessops with minor blagging on my part. They tend to tell you they only price match shops in a 20 mile radius if you phone up. You need to pop in and once they know you're buying, they're only too ready to talk a deal although I think you need to speak to the management.

Guys in Edi City Centre are very fair, no problem matching web sites and offering big discounts. All of them very keen togs too I think.

I have a panasonic LX2, all the same sorts of features as the g9 with a few ups and downs.

It's smaller and lighter but you don't get an optical viewfinder and you do need to nail it to 100ISO if you want it to try and compete with DSLR quality. :)

Brilliant little camera and has bagged some great stuff for me that no eos could have.

I have a panasonic LX2, all the same sorts of features as the g9 with a few ups and downs.

It's smaller and lighter but you don't get an optical viewfinder and you do need to nail it to 100ISO if you want it to try and compete with DSLR quality. :)

Brilliant little camera and has bagged some great stuff for me that no eos could have.

Does it shoot in RAW?

Thats what sells the G9 to me.

G.

Does it shoot in RAW?

Was the primary reason it appealed to the control freak in me. :LOL:

It does insist on also saving a large jpeg so it's quite thirsty on card space (about 45 frames a gig IIRC) but that's hardly a concern these days.

Was the primary reason it appealed to the control freak in me. :LOL:

It does insist on also saving a large jpeg so it's quite thirsty on card space (about 45 frames a gig IIRC) but that's hardly a concern these days.

Hmmmmmmmmmm. :thinking: Choices :)

Grab a card and go play with both at a shop. I suspect the canon might be better on the image quality side but the pany is smaller and lighter.

We'll all pick a different point on the size/IQ scale and you need to choose the best compromise for you. One day there will be a camera that produces medium format quality and is the size of a matchbox but at the mo, it's all about choosing what you don't mind losing.

The G9 is the only choice thinks me. And Jessops is the place to go. £10 dearer than WE but no delivery to pay (£7.99) and you get your mits on the thing straight away. Which is worth a tenner in my book anyway.

The G9 is the only choice thinks me.

You dissing my panny? That's fighting talk round these parts. :boxer:
:LOL::LOL:

I have been sort of half looking to buy a G9 for a bit of street photography

According to camerapricebuster.co.uk 7dayshop is cheapest at the mo plus you could get 2% back thru quidco (if you use it of course)
http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod586.html

but have found it cheaper here http://www.egears.co.uk/pd_g9.cfm but have never used egears anybody used them before?

Can also recommend the G9 :)

Superb, er, little camera. Not quite a 'compact' per se, but much more compact than a DSLR and with similar features. Plus, my flash, spare batteries and software are compatiable :D

A lot better image quality compared to some point-and-shoots I've used recently.

Got mine from Kerso ;)

edster

How much from kerso?

See below, posted twice for some strange reason

Yeah I think 7dayshop is the cheapest I've found so far + you get a 2gb sd card I think.

Can't see anything about a 2gb SD card, you get a 32mb in the box, but that is not gonna go very far shooting raw is it :LOL:

you get a 32mb in the box, but that is not gonna go very far shooting raw is it :LOL:

Just the one image :LOL:

Kerso is doing them for around £260 IIRC. Not a massive saving but I was buying other stuff off him at the time so it made sense. Best to email him for accurate prices.

Good to hear positive comments re the G9, its on my buy list.

When I fondled one in Jessops, I wasn't very keen on the grip, but from here : http://lensmateonline.com/newsite/order_G7_1.html you can get a grip and thumb rest (and other bits), so, problem solved.

I also couldn't seem to adjust the viewfinder dioptre far enough for my failing eyesight.

I understand it can be noisy at high ISOs, but I guess that applies to most compacts ?

Time to have another fondle me thinks.

I think it's fair to say that like all compacts you need to keep the ISO low on the G9. It does what it does best in a pretty small window as far as ISO is concerned, but it does it brilliantly, producing great images.

I just purchased my G9 a couple of weeks ago. £259 at www.bestpricedbrands.co.uk and that included 3 day freight option (if you cancel your order before payment, then wait for an email response).

Amazing camera.

http://lensmateonline.com/newsite/order_G7_1.html[/URL] you can get a grip and thumb rest (and other bits), so, problem solved.

Nice find, thanks for sharing...

Time to have another fondle me thinks.

I wasn't convinced to begin with, but I managed to borrow one for a short time and soon fell for it. The image quality is superb. Plus the other advantages that I mentioned before (same flash, battery etc as my 400D).

I just purchased my G9 a couple of weeks ago. £259 at www.bestpricedbrands.co.uk and that included 3 day freight option (if you cancel your order before payment, then wait for an email response).

Amazing camera.

Can you explain the part in brackets, about cancelling, not quite sure what you mean :bonk:

Cheers

Well I went and looked at a G9 in Jessops today. Looked very nice, although they weren't particularly enthusiastic about letting me play around with it much. Anyway, £329 was the lowest they could go for the camera on its own, so I will be buying it somewhere else anyway!

I got the G5 a few years back and fell in love with Canon cameras (currently using the 40D).

I still dig out the G5 every so often, it is treated pretty badly but takes the knocks no problem. The RAW files from its 5mp sensor are silky smooth so the G9 will give you some stunning images.

RAW shooting on a compact is definitely the way forward, forget face recognition and all that other faff.

Reckon the G9 will be a superd piece of kit. I heard on a podcast that there is some large format photographer who uses a G9 as a metering tool as it offers live histograms!!!

Pretty obscure use for a G9 (he probably told the wife that so he was allowed to buy it).

Good Luck

I heard on a podcast that there is some large format photographer who uses a G9 as a metering tool as it offers live histograms!!!

I've done that quite a bit. If you can be bothered with getting your p&s calibrated to the film stock you're using, it's a really accurate way to work.

Well when you think that you can transfer spot or evaluative metering straight to the LF camera, particularly if you can match the fields of view, it makes a lot of sense to me. :D

Back