Recommendations for digiscoping tripod?

Edit My Images
Yes
I am using a 2 second self timer, even so the head is still wobbling at shutter time, I clearly need a much better tripod.

Ideally with a single pan / tilt lock, sub £100 complete if possible, not looking for the best in the world, just as good as possible for the money, and not too heavy.

I think I have found one:

Velbon Sherpa 250R plus PH-157Q Head and Bag (£54.99)

Can anyone rate this for use with spotting scope + camera (say X90 zoom)

I had a less than successful spell of digiscoping with a film SLR a few years back and gave up in frustration.

I occasionally work in Sweden with a guy who is a true exponent of the art and he gave me some tips.

With a film SLR you have movement in both axes....mirror and shutter....a digital SLR will reduce this to one axis....and a point and shoot eliminates even this.

So. what are you using camerawise for the scoping?

The distances involved mean that even the smallest angular movement will blurr the image.

Take a shot of a well defined image so that you can see which way the movement occurred...if it's vertical then you can blame the mirror actuation and work on that one. If it's lateral or general blurr then you need much steadier legs.
From the gear I saw, you'll be lucky to achieve the desired results with a sub £100 tripod.

Bob

So. what are you using camerawise for the scoping?

Thanks Bob, I'm already appreciating what you mean by frustrating time but I'm a glutton for punishment.

I'm trialling this technique on a budget initially, both in terms of cost and weight, I'm currently using a compact camera, Samsung 8.1M, with a 2.7 in screen, connected to an Opticron spotting scope. I need to make a cable release at some point.

This is sitting on an existing Hama Star61 tripod (£19), this has a plastic 3 way head and although OK for basic product shots indoors, is hopeless with a scope, it's just not rigid enough.

It's an angled scope so I do not need a lot of height.

Consider a Benbo 1 or 2. The 2 would probably suit you unless you needed huge height. Not light and a bit quirky to erect, but capable of supporting anything.

I have a battered old Benbo 1 and I wouldn't swap it for the latest carbon fibre wonder which would cost hundreds and not be as rigid.

Very quick to erect once you get used to them and supremely adaptable for getting into awkward places.

With a film SLR you have movement in both axes....mirror and shutter....a digital SLR will reduce this to one

I don't understand this at all Bob. Whether digital or film, SLRs have both a focal plane shutter and mirror, and in both cases the shutter travels vertically these days?

Consider a Benbo 1 or 2. The 2 would probably suit you unless you needed huge height. Not light and a bit quirky to erect, but capable of supporting anything.

I have a battered old Benbo 1 and I wouldn't swap it for the latest carbon fibre wonder which would cost hundreds and not be as rigid.

Very quick to erect once you get used to them and supremely adaptable for getting into awkward places.

I'd echo these sentiments.... bostin' tripods. First Class bit of kit :clap:

If you're excellent with bagpipes you'll be able to erect and put it away without any problems whatsoever.

If you do get one, try and get a friend to video you playing with it. You'll be amused for ages! :naughty:

I'm nicely past the age when you worry about making a spectacle of yourself in a public place so thanks I'll go and take a look at one. It beats a scaffold pole and a bag of concrete I guess.

BENBO

Shop around, you can probably beat those prices.

The name s derived from the words 'bent bolt ' which is the device that locks all the legs in place with one twist of a lever, wherever you position them. They nicked the original idea from a Bren Gun support!

*Michael Caine voice* "Not many people know that"

Try ebay, there's usually a few 2nd hand ones on there. :)

I like a bit of history, are their heads good as well?

Had a peek at the Pink Fairy site.

Wow, he's good.
Damn, want to spend more money now.

I like a bit of history, are their heads good as well?

Damn, want to spend more money now.
Based on the basic ball head I got with mine I'd have to say you could do a lot better for heads elsewhere. Mine is always used with the gimbal head and the 500mm.

If you really want to spend some money check out gimbal heads, they're all horrible money with the exception of the Manfrotto 393 which is a steal at around a hundred quid.

with the exception of the Manfrotto 393 which is a steal at around a hundred quid.

Which is what im getting next.:) Now all I need is for some Teleconverter that work, and my decent birding setup will be complete (until I want something better anyway(y))

Next to glass a gimbal head will make the biggest difference to your results without a doubt. (y)

That's encouraging, just dug out from the attic an old (must be 30 years) cheapy steel, basic tripod, it's a 100 times better, looks as though old fangled is better than new fangled for this sort of thing, that gimbal gizmo + Benbo seems a good long term investment.

Well the Benbo is aircraft grade aluminium so it's as light as they can really make it, but they're no lightweights. If you need to carry it uphill and down dale get something else, but for not too far from the car they're a great tripod and reasonably priced for the quality you get. They're virtually indestructible and all the bits are available as spares anyway. The lower leg sections are sealed and you can even stand them in water up the height of the leg joint.

The only thing I'd say is if you're going to use a gimbal head the long centre column restricts how low you can get it. I've shortened mine right down. It's difficult to explain why, but basically the gimbal head needs to be upright all the time for maximum up and down movement and angling the centre column cocks it up.

Back