Beginner recommendations on a softbox set

Name
jennie wooldridge
Edit My Images
No
Hi

Can anyone recommend set with lights and backdrops. I've seen lots on amazon but mixed reviews and unsure. ive also seen lots on ebay but again mixed or no reviews.

do I have to have on that is compatible with my camera? Nikon d5300.

I will mainly be doing baby, children and animal photography?

Thank you

Hi

Can anyone recommend set with lights and backdrops. I've seen lots on amazon but mixed reviews and unsure. ive also seen lots on ebay but again mixed or no reviews.

do I have to have on that is compatible with my camera? Nikon d5300.

I will mainly be doing baby, children and animal photography?

Thank you
Hi Jennie, what's your budget, how much space do you have, have you any experience with lighting?

Oh, and I'll ask for it to be moved to the lighting section, you'll get more response there.

Last edited:
Hi Jennie, what's your budget, how much space do you have, have you any experience with lighting?

Oh, and I'll ask for it to be moved to the lighting section, you'll get more response there.

Moved :)

Hi

Thank you for moving

I'm looking for a starter kit maybe something simple to use and what are suggestions. I don't have any experience with light sets which is why I need something that will be simple to use and I can build up from there when necessary.

jen

Hi

Thank you for moving

I'm looking for a starter kit maybe something simple to use and what are suggestions. I don't have any experience with light sets which is why I need something that will be simple to use and I can build up from there when necessary.

jen
Budget? And a few more details of what you want to achieve would help too if you want really good advice.

If you're thinking studio lighting, you could do a lot worse than a starter kit from Lencarta. The only other advice I'll offer with no detail is; don't go for a white background as a starter option, it's harder than you think by a factor of about 10.

Sorry budget isn't very high at the moment.
I've seen on a previous post someone has said don't go for the starter kits off ebay? I've seen a few on amazon?
This is for family portraits, pets things at home

Jen

Hi Jennie, following on from your pony thread it's perhaps worth knowing a bit about your experience level first and how comfortable you are with your camera. It's easy for the experts (Phil, Garry etc.) to recommend things because they know what works well and what doesn't. However, the more "kit" you have, the more things you need to control and make work in the right way. It's also worth bearing in mind that most artificial lighting requires you to use your camera in manual mode (at least it tends to be easier to control that way and get what you want out of it).

Sorry, I'm not meaning to come over questioning or anything, but you can help everyone help you by giving a bit more information about what you're totally comfortable with and what currently feels a bit out of your comfort zone in terms of using your camera and shooting etc.

Just my 2p!

Sorry budget isn't very high at the moment.
I've seen on a previous post someone has said don't go for the starter kits off ebay? I've seen a few on amazon?
This is for family portraits, pets things at home

Jen
Jen, I'm beginning to feel like a broken record.

A budget that's 'not very high' might be £50 or £500 or £5000.

The problem with naming eBay and Amazon like that is that I can find some excellent kit there as well as some complete junk, I can buy a 20 year old Renault 5 or a nearly new BMW from eBay. Did you look at the Lencarta site for a Smartflash starter kit? Is that within budget?

Last edited:
I'd just suggest just getting a speedlight and learning to bounce/flag it.

TBH, IMO your budget/requirements/experience don't really line up... so start small, start easy, and go from there.

Back