Recommended A3 Printer

SMT

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
I will be looking for an A3 pritner in the near future and would be grateful for some recommendations. Budget of up to around £500. The availability of good quality aftermarket inks would be an important consideration for me.

Thanks - Simon.

i am no expert simon but i am perfectly happy with the quality of my old epson 1400. i would suggest that the printer comes second to the inks - find the cis supplier you like and see what printers they can supply.

If you want

Dye then Canons Pixma 9000 Pro II

Pigment Canons Pixma 9500 Pro II

I have the 9000 and use City Ink express refillable carts. The inks seem to be as good and don't change colour in sunlight like some of the inks I've used in the past.

I have just started using the Canon Pixma 9500 MkII, and I am very happy with both colour and B+W.

Unfortunately for you, I think the £100 refund offer has finished.

Another (y) for the Epson 1400 I have a cis off Ebay InkTech Midlands from Wolverhampton and they have never clogged.
Dave

Thanks for the replies. I will have a look into the printers suggested.

I was in the Canon centre in Phuket earlier today and they had a 9500 MKII set up with lots of print samples and I have to say they look amazing. They also had quite a few print samples from an older 9000 MK1 which also looked amazing, but I understand the 9000 is not brilliant at printing B&W.

I've got a Canon Pixma Pro 9000 (mk 1) and I can't fault it. I don't print a huge amount of B&W, but I've not found anything to complain about with what I have printed.

I have the 9000 mk1 .....
If you print true b&w then an A3 print can take in the region of 20 mins to print simply because there is only one black cartrdige.
It is possible to print b&w using the colours (ie: the colours are mixed to produce the different shades of grey) however there does tend to be a colour cast of red or green.

Epson R2880. I haven't used the Canon, but I am VERY happy with the Epson and I am very hard to please :D

There's a new Epson R3000 out shortly with bigger ink cartridges -No brainer if you are looking for A3+ as you will save a lot on ink with larger ink tanks (unless you get a CIS)

I use a fotospeed CIS with my Epson R2400 and works brilliantly - saves me a fortune in ink!

R3000 carts are double the volume but almost double the price - not saving you much

I was lead to believe they'd be less than 2x the price! I've not seen the price of the cartridges. Well certainly worth investigating a decent cis. Costs me £200 for fotospeed ibid compared to over £700 worth of Epson ink and so far every bit as good!

ive heard that the r3000 is a nice bit of kit, then again is now the time to grab a bargin R2880 for cheaps?! Im looking atm.

I am very impressed with my Pixma 9500 MkII
Pictures look great (am using Illford Lustre duo A4 and A3+ at the moment, and have printed a canvas, Hahnemuhle Monet )

Unfortunately I am not sure about the availability of non-canon inks for it at the moment (however, I believe it was non-canon inks which screwed up my last printer, i560 the pink won't stay in the cartridge and has bled into two yellow carts).

Back