Recycling photo paper?

ChrisR

I'm a well known grump...
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I got a bargain lot of US Letter size Ilfrod Galerie Smooth Pear, which I really like. I'm using quite a lot of it on test prints and "assessment" prints: easier to tell if something's rubbish in print, rather than on screen! However this does mean I'm collecting quite a bit of used 290 gsm photo paper that's not really of continuing interest. So my question is: how can I recycle it?

Photo paper, specially heavier weight stuff, doesn't feel like paper, doesn't feel like cardboard. I've a feeling there's a fair bit of plastic in there. Do I just stick it in the bag with the paper recycling, or is it into the grey landfill bin (your colours and receptacles will vary)? Or is there another solution?

I got a bargain lot of US Letter size Ilfrod Galerie Smooth Pear, which I really like. I'm using quite a lot of it on test prints and "assessment" prints: easier to tell if something's rubbish in print, rather than on screen! However this does mean I'm collecting quite a bit of used 290 gsm photo paper that's not really of continuing interest. So my question is: how can I recycle it?

Photo paper, specially heavier weight stuff, doesn't feel like paper, doesn't feel like cardboard. I've a feeling there's a fair bit of plastic in there. Do I just stick it in the bag with the paper recycling, or is it into the grey landfill bin (your colours and receptacles will vary)? Or is there another solution?
It's resin coated, so should be disposed of in the recycle bin.

It is my understanding that anything that is a mixed materials product is unfortunately not recyclable in the domestic waste stream.

I wonder if the manufacturer of Ilford Gallerie Smooth Paper can answer the question, afteral they no doubt produce waste during manufacturing.

Ilford have a messaging form on their website.

It is my understanding that anything that is a mixed materials product is unfortunately not recyclable in the domestic waste stream.
You're probably right. Not sure it should go into the landfill though.

Just a general thought & insight.

I used to work for a company that supplied the print trade with hot stamping foils and the question of recycleability came up first as far as I recall back in about 2012.

It was eventually deemed that paper products that were stamped could be put into the paper recycle steam because the foil content was almost unmeasurable in regard to weight i.e. once pulped the foil would be washed out in the process. The foil waste of the polyester carrier could not be recycled (I left the industry in 2016 so matters today may be different) and were destined for landfill.....I hope matters have changed now and that there is an industrial waste stream that does take it???

On the other hand there is one heck of a lot of paper waste that is non-recycled e.g. laminated papers......but perhaps that too is now different?

This is what Kodak says:
'Waste photographic paper is not generally recoverable. Most papers are coated with a very thin layer of polythene to control water absorption and speed drying, and should not therefore be mixed with other waste paper destined for conventional paper recovery. Waste photographic paper should be disposed of by incineration with energy recovery. If suitable incineration facilities are unavailable; the waste may be disposed of to landfill without risk of adverse environmental effects.'

I wonder if the manufacturer of Ilford Gallerie Smooth Paper can answer the question, afteral they no doubt produce waste during manufacturing.
Ilford have a messaging form on their website.
Thanks for the suggestion, I have sent them a message. Possibly the wrong week to get a quick answer! Though as @Box Brownie and @Retune are suggesting, it's not looking hopeful.

Coventry council does have a waste to energy plant, but I don't know whether Warwick does...

Back