Red Arrows around Bournemouth.

Edit My Images
Yes
Having just bought a Tokina 12-24 lens, I wanted to see what it would be like during the Red Arrows taking off, here are a couple. The Red Arrows were going to a display at Cowes IOW.

3800778156_65b3a1b4f7_o.jpg

3799959105_11d3d40a83_o.jpg

After the display they came back & did a mini display for us. The Sun was almost set so the Red Arrows planes & especially the smoke took on a more Golden hue.

3800780214_4deaa63c4e_o.jpg

3799959725_d079b95209_o.jpg

3800778686_cf05b12f50_o.jpg

3799960449_3f1d2e807a_o.jpg

3799961153_e5ac72e1a1_o.jpg

8. Again the pilots came over to talk & give out brochures, also little Red Arrow kites etc for the kids.
3800779488_787349fc20_o.jpg

9. Then peace & quiet, the sun had set leaving this lovely colour over the airport, & down this lane the Red Arrow pilots went in their cars to Bournemouth.
3799960793_ff0bab7d0d_o.jpg

10. Remember this photo? (picture 6) well I took out the wing tip, printed it & took it up the airport & it was signed by the pilots, 2 more to get but I will do that next time. That will now hang on my wall. This is a scan of the autographed photo.
3800430627_1c3de65b56_o.jpg

Thanks for looking & C&C welcome.

Last edited:
Great set of images there, the first is a killer.

Shame you could not have nipped over the fence on the runway shot as the sun is settingand trim that flower down, very minor nitpick about the flower breaking the distant line of the run way, as I say a very, very small nitpick, great set thanks for sharing:)

Great set of images there, the first is a killer.

Shame you could not have nipped over the fence on the runway shot as the sun is settingand trim that flower down, very minor nitpick about the flower breaking the distant line of the run way, as I say a very, very small nitpick, great set thanks for sharing:)

Thanks martint. I hadn't noticed the flower, however I nipped over the fence & it's sorted now ;)

Saw them fly over Glastonbury at about midday. Not sure what they were doing that far adrift!?

I will be attending my first display early September at Portrush in NOrthern Ireland and the Arrows and Battle of Britain flight will be there over 2 days. What other lenses did you use and have you any general advice on camera settings for jets, copters etc

Nice shots, No 6 is nice, esp like No 1 and the signed photo is the muts nuts, dead jelous :nuts:, well done :clap:

Just nice really nice ........ the boys are great too, very polite bunch

what a great set...pick a fav very difficult...hmmmmm 1,3,4,5,6...cant choose all excellent :clap::clap::clap:

Saw them fly over Glastonbury at about midday. Not sure what they were doing that far adrift!?

Look here.

These are just superb!! Love them all :clap: amazing set and that last signed one is pretty special ;)

Thank you very much, I hope to get the other two pilots autographs & it will go on my wall.

I will be attending my first display early September at Portrush in NOrthern Ireland and the Arrows and Battle of Britain flight will be there over 2 days. What other lenses did you use and have you any general advice on camera settings for jets, copters etc

The Tokina 12-24 is a new lens to me, my first wide angle lens, not the sort of lens to take to an air display, however for a couple of days before the Red Arrows came here I practised with Thompson fly etc as they were taking off. The first Two photo's were taken with the Tokina 12-24 & I am quite pleased with the results & will do more another time. I also used a Tamron 18-270 VC for some ground shots, but all the close up of the planes during the 'mini' display & landing were taken with a Nikon AF-S 300mm f/4 ED-IF prime lens. You really need to practice as although fairly close to the planes, that brings in new problems,as they are doing a hell of a speed as they go by, & panning has to be good. For an air display I would think a 300mm lens would be the least to take & I'm sure others on here can advise better than me. I still think some unusual shots may be obtained with a 12-24 lens though.

Cracking set there, you clever git :clap:
Thanks
:agree:

Blooming great set. Love no 1 :love:
So buying the Tokina 12-24 paid off.:)

A fantastic set well done.....:clap:
Thanks
Fantastic set of pics No.6 is superb
Thanks. Yes that sun adds a new dimension.

Nice shots, No 6 is nice, esp like No 1 and the signed photo is the muts nuts, dead jelous :nuts:, well done :clap:
Just nice really nice ........ the boys are great too, very polite bunch
Thank you. Yes I'm well pleased with that, but it is also because the pilots are a great bunch & are prepared to meet the public.

what a great set...pick a fav very difficult...hmmmmm 1,3,4,5,6...cant choose all excellent :clap::clap::clap:
Thanks very much.

Back