Red Arrows at Dartmouth Regatta 2009

RVF

Name
Giles
Edit My Images
Yes
Each year Dartmouth in Devon holds it's Regatta, apart from the boaty stuff (rowing & sailing races) & general fun in the town there's also several air displays spread over 3 days or so. Usually there is helo's, the BBMF, fast jets & the Reds always make an appearance.
Unfortunately the BBMF couldn't make it this year due to the 'BBQ summer' we're having :cautious: but the Reds did manage their usual high standard.
Anyway, enough of the waffle, here's a few shots, they've had some PP.
Hope you enjoy & any C & C is encouraged please.

DSC_0614a.jpg

DSC_0650a.jpg

DSC_0653a.jpg

DSC_0659.jpg

DSC_0677a.jpg

DSC_0684a.jpg

DSC_0715a.jpg

DSC_0728a.jpg

enjoyed looking at them
normally go to regatta but can't this year, we enjoy the event and atmosphere so was quite interested to see some photographs of the reds with background other than sky,

Nice shots, esp like No 2 & 3 with the boats in as well - a real sense of occasion (y)

Thanks folks (y)
It's always a good show I guess because it's performed in a valley over the river, & there's plenty of good vantage points, whether on the water or from the hillside.....although the walk up the hill certainly tests the leg muscles as it's one of those hills that get steeper the more you climb :eek:

You must have been on Jawbones Hill somewhere behind me then....! Good display wasnlt it - once Red9 got his problems sorted out and came and joined the party!

Nice shots - agree totally about the background, that was what I was most pleased with with my shots this time, and I'd do the climb again too!

You must have been on Jawbones Hill somewhere behind me then....! Good display wasnlt it - once Red9 got his problems sorted out and came and joined the party!

Nice shots - agree totally about the background, that was what I was most pleased with with my shots this time, and I'd do the climb again too!

Thanks (y)
Yes I was standing (well sitting most of the time :D) up on Jawbones, about 30ft or so down from the tree half way up the hill. I've walked up that hill a few times over the years & it's still a killer walk :eek:
It's probably one of the best places to stand to get a good view of the display & the town, & of course the sun is from behind :)
Although viewing from the river can be good too as these old shots from 1994 show
regatta94a.jpg

regatta94-1.jpg

....& yes they really were that low!!!

According to the local paper Red 9 had to return to Exeter because of a mechanical problem on route (one of it's flaps) which is why only 8 of them were circling around for a few minutes.

Last edited:
Yes - apparently the Hawk Red9 started in was new to them, and he actually went back and jumped in the spare which was an older plane for the display.....it was only a couple of weekds before we'd seen them with no R6 at Eastbourne (so no Synchro - boo!) so of course when they first went over and there were only 3 of them in Gypo I was a touch peeved! Thanksfully my OH was down in town (with his collecting tins in hand!) and was able to call me and let me know what was happening. I was then able to in turn let those around me know.

Love those shots you've just added BTW - I think it always takes new people by surprise how low they really do come in at Dartmouth! Lucky, aren't we!

I might pop a few of my shots up too - although I feel a bit awkward about posting shots considering I've been MIA for the last year! :bonk:

Last edited:
Lovely shots, looks like they really do get low in Dartmouth. Will have to try and get down for this one at some point.

Back