'Red' cameras... Huh?

Its more than "special", it records super hi-def video (super suyper uber high def), so its not a still camera as such although I think you can do that. However, the point is, you shoot hi quality moving images and then pick frames out as photographs. Its a monster!

(Explained terribly I know)

Oh, you said that...
it says typical HD video cams are 2.1MP and that is 12 and it can shoot up to 120 fps, pretty impressive.

Oh, you said that...
it says typical HD video cams are 2.1MP and that is 12 and it can shoot up to 120 fps, pretty impressive.

It should be better for photographers (esp. in studios etc), because they can set the camera recording and capture every moment of their model/subject. You'll get much more natural results as oppose to the surprises when the shutter clicks.

RED digital is the 1st real cinema quality digital (non film) camera system. The RED ONE, which has been used on many full scale cinema productions now, including Angels and Deamons, Jumper, and many other full scale film productions.

This is a (and the 1st REAL) competitor to the cinema film workflow, with cameras costing in the region of $100K upwards, and obviously needs no single use film stock (a very major cost in the production of a motion picture), whereas RED just needs a high speed RAID array on which to capture the footage to, and costs less than 1/2 what a film camera costs. It can even capture to the insanely high speed compact flash cards linked to above, which, when the scarlet comes out, will just lead to some amazing new shots, that just could not be got with a traditional large camera.

being a video guy as well as photo, I could drool over these all day, so I'll shut up now...

The RED video cameras are in another league, they are awesome video cameras that put most professional video cameras in their price range to shame. If they release their new model the "Scarlet" with a reasonable price tag, I'll be buying one!

Also there is an adapter that allows a RED user to use Canon EF lenses, think Canon 800mm on a video camera.

This is a very special camera indeed. A new BBC1 drama is filming with it and that's all I can say!

Its as good a motion capture video camera as it is a still camera. The quality of footage is so good you can pick out stills that would kill the hgihest specced SLRs.

The fact of the matter is that this is a very high end digital stills camera! the sensor is almost identical to the ones found in high end modern dslr's. The difference of course is that it can take 120 12M pixel photo's a second and the fact that it can handle that amount of data without going up in a puff of smoke and dying..

Back