Red damselfly

Name
Angi
Edit My Images
Yes
Finally I have damselflies in my garden, which is fabulous as I dont have to trek for a couple of miles to capture photos of them early in the morning, which I can't quite manage anyway.
IMG_5647reddamsels-1.jpg

IMG_5502reddamselflys.jpg

IMG_5223crps.jpg

IMG_5460s.jpg

IMG_5577s.jpg

Last edited:
Nice shots, I've only ever come across one and it wouldn't let me within a country mile of it :p

Number 4 (y)

I took some over the weekend, but never quite nailed the focus. Nice work.

What a lovely set. Number 1 for me is the favourite.
Did you take these handheld or used a tripod?
And did you use flash?

I am still trying to get to grips with macro shots. Plenty of bugs and insects around but weather seems to have played tricm here.

Last edited:
They are not good in the cold, so going out in the early morning can find them settled on the foliage; they particularly like large clumps of stinging nettles. They can take a while to get going from cold, from memory I think they tend to start getting active at above 17°. When it gets really hot they go onto “turbo boost” and just don’t stay still! Some people capture them and put them in the fridge to slow them down, but that always seems a bit extreme to me. Going out after a rain shower can be very effective and you can get some great images. You can encourage them onto your hand and they will soak up your body heat… Really nice pics by the way!

What a lovely set. Number 1 for me is the favourite.
Did you take these handheld or used a tripod?
And did you use flash?

I am still trying to get to grips with macro shots. Plenty of bugs and insects around but weather seems to have played tricm here.
Thanks, I was using a large beanbag to rest on for some of them, 2 and 3 were handheld.
Flash was used for some.

Thanks, I was using a large beanbag to rest on for some of them, 2 and 3 were handheld.
Flash was used for some.

Thanks for that.
I have to keep practising my macro shots. All these help and tips are really helpful.

Amin

Back