Red Kites (From Aston Rowant0

Name
Clive
Edit My Images
Yes
Took a trip up to Aston Rowant on Saturday to get some pictures of the Red Kites.
There are a lot up there and some come quite close to the side of the hill (over looking the M40)
Was suprised to see a few land and pick up worms.....they must be really hungry.
Taken with 7D and Canon 400mm f5.6,great combination and I think I'm nearly there with my ideal setting...

IMG_2002a_filtered.jpg

IMG_2042a_filtered.jpg

Thanks for looking and C&C most welcome.
Clive.

What a good pair of images, nice and sharp with a balanced exposure.

I agree about the 7D+400 F5.6 being a great combination, unless the kites come in very close of course ;)

Really nice work Clive. Very sharp. Would you care to share your ideal BIF 7D settings as I'm still hunting to find mine?

AF point expansion and ‘Single point AF’ seems to suit me (or maybe the Lens),also had a play with Spot metering against colourless sky and that worked well,saying that took some shots of Geese in flight in less favourable light with the same settings and autofocus did struggle a little,although thats probably what I'd expect,also works very well with my 70-200mm f2.8 with those settings.
Still experimenting with AI Servo tracking sensitivity,got it set on slow at the minute and must confess I can't decide what's best.......
HTH,
Clive

AF point expansion and ‘Single point AF’ seems to suit me (or maybe the Lens),also had a play with Spot metering against colourless sky and that worked well,saying that took some shots of Geese in flight in less favourable light with the same settings and autofocus did struggle a little,although thats probably what I'd expect,also works very well with my 70-200mm f2.8 with those settings.
Still experimenting with AI Servo tracking sensitivity,got it set on slow at the minute and must confess I can't decide what's best.......
HTH,
Clive

Thanks for posting your settings Clive. I tend to use partial metering, so i'll give spot metering a try and see how I get on (y)

Back