Red Kites - Stockton-on-Tees?

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
No
Hi

Before you read any further, my knowledge of birds is small.

Whilst sat enjoying some morning sunshine in my garden i noticed 3 birds soaring a long way off, in the clear blue sky.
I watched them from a while and was curious what they were, thinking they could be gulls or something.
Curiosity got the better of me and i got my binoculars from the house.
By the time i returned they had moved further away, but out of line of direct sunlight.
They didn't flap their wings once whilst i watched them, just gliding.
They were a long way off, but i could clearly see that they were of a reddish brown on top, and distinct whitish areas towards the tips of the underside of the wings.
The only bird i could find in my book that resembled these was a Red Kite.
I know they were introduced further North from me a while back, but i live in Ingleby Barwick, Stockton-on-Tees.

Simple questions are, could these be Red Kites ? or more likely something else.

I hope this the right place for this.

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Mike

It did help but as they were so far off i couldn't be certain they were one or the other.

I see red kites daily and despite knowing the obvious difference between them and buzzards, I still misidentify them from a distance. How far away were the release sites from Stockton? They are definitely spreading out a bit.

Some were released in 2001 at The Harewood Estate north of Leeds which is approx 50 miles from me and some were released in Gateshead / Newcastle which is only 35 miles.
So i guess thats not far really in birding terms.
But i will keep watching and hope to see them again, a little closer i hope.
If they were Buzzards that would be a 1st for me too so am chuffed either way. :)

Some were released in 2001 at The Harewood Estate north of Leeds which is approx 50 miles from me and some were released in Gateshead / Newcastle which is only 35 miles.
So i guess thats not far really in birding terms.
But i will keep watching and hope to see them again, a little closer i hope.
If they were Buzzards that would be a 1st for me too so am chuffed either way. :)

If you're lacking spotting skills then maybe listen for the call to confirm the I.D :thinking:
Check HERE for all the help you need to tell the difference from a Buzzard.

The main difference that is the easiest to see is the tail, the Kite has a v shaped tail and the buzzard has not.

Back