Red snapper tripod

Does anyone have a 283 Tripod and RSH-528 3-Way Head Kit? just wanting to know if its any good?

I've got that very combo. Tripod an head are excellent - comparable with kit twice the price. Only small gripe is that the case doesn't quite fit the 3-way head. One of the pan-arms sticks out of the case, but the 2-way zip closes around it. Or you can unscrew the pan-arm and leave it in the case and zip it up.

Give me 5 min's and i'll post a picture - it'll explain better than i've just tried to do!

The bit that sticks out...
P1010219.JPG

How it looks in the case
P1010217.JPG

Don't have the 3 way I have the ballhead but both the tripod and head are excellent, great value and outstanding quality.

Great :) thanks for that :)

Cheeres for posting those image thebigyin :) .thats good that you can take the handles off though. So its lightwieght and sturdy right?

Also the head that connects to ** camera, is it wood? does it scratch of damage ** camera when you screw it on?

It's Definitely sturdy - If you want lightweigt, then i'd look at the carbon fibre version. It's not massively heavy - and the carrying case has a comfortable strap that helps, but while it's okay for carrying a couple of miles in to a hide and back, for example, I'd definitely think twice about taking it up a couple of mountains in the lakes etc.

The head plate that connects to the camera is a sold chunk of metal, dovetailed into another quick release plate which wasn't on in the photo - it was fastened to the bottom of my EOS450D :LOL: The plate has a rubber surface that's fine to protect the camera, and pretty non-slip (although if it gets damaged i'll probably look at glueing on some thin cork sheet instead.)

It's Definitely sturdy - If you want lightweigt, then i'd look at the carbon fibre version. It's not massively heavy - and the carrying case has a comfortable strap that helps, but while it's okay for carrying a couple of miles in to a hide and back, for example, I'd definitely think twice about taking it up a couple of mountains in the lakes etc.

The head plate that connects to the camera is a sold chunk of metal, dovetailed into another quick release plate which wasn't on in the photo - it was fastened to the bottom of my EOS450D :LOL: The plate has a rubber surface that's fine to protect the camera, and pretty non-slip (although if it gets damaged i'll probably look at glueing on some thin cork sheet instead.)

Arh, thats great :) it sounds good :) i dont mind carrying it, i'm looking forward to the work out :) i live in the lakes but it wil be fine :D

I have a lowpro primus so hopefully i will be able to attach the tripod to the back of that which will make it easyer to carry :)

Bottom of QR Plate - when you get the tripod put a dab of threadlock on the little black bolts and refit them. I didn't and lost one!
P1010221_800x600_.JPG

Top of QR Plate
P1010220_800x600_.JPG

QR Plate on Tripod Head
P1010222_800x600_.JPG

this might be a silly question but why are there two pins ?

One's the threaded attachment to the camera. The second is a spring loaded pin that pushes the camera away from the QR plate when you unscrew the plate from the camera. The push pin is adjustable, so you can screw it in/out so it doesn't stop the camera fastening flush to the plate.

I've just dropped the 'pod on the scales - without it's case it's 2505g, the case is another 600g or so (it's big and floppy on it's own and wasn't easy to get on the scales plate :LOL:)

One's the threaded attachment to the camera. The second is a spring loaded pin that pushes the camera away from the QR plate when you unscrew the plate from the camera. The push pin is adjustable, so you can screw it in/out so it doesn't stop the camera fastening flush to the plate.

I've just dropped the 'pod on the scales - without it's case it's 2505g, the case is another 600g or so (it's big and floppy on it's own and wasn't easy to get on the scales plate :LOL:)

lol, thanks for doing that, you;ve been a massive help :) think im going to get my self one :) cheers for all ** help

I received my 283 this week and will be using it with a Manfrotto ballhead that I already have. IIRC the legs alone weigh 2kg, so it's certainly not the lightest piece of kit around. Having said that, looks seriously sturdy and I'll be going out shortly to see how I get on in the field with it. It might not be a Gitzo, but it's clearly stupidly good value when you start looking at similarly specified units from groups like Manfrotto.

ive that set up and its great, for £75 its a bargain, im thinking of selling though as i want the added benefit of a boom function like in the manfroto pro,

The second pin is there for video cameras, so you fit it pointing in the right direction.

Aahhh - that makes more sense than what I said up there ^^^ - to be honest I wasn't convinced that was the reason - was just repeating what someone else told me :amstupid:

cool, how do you get the 10% off, at what point ?

Speak with Joe at RedSnapper, tell him your from TP and he'll sort out the 10% for you, and a nice bloke to speak to, too.

I bought the Carbon version and the ballhead from him this week, it was there the next day.

Great bit of kit and service to match.

Phil

Brill :) i've just ordered it, hopefully I'll get my 10% off not sure what day i will get it though being the bank holiday and all. cant wait to get it :) then i can do some nice photography :) yay

TheBigYin - thanks for posting the pics. Very helpful indeed.

I'm about to order the 283 but not sure whether to get the ball head or the 3-way. I don't want any issues with the ball head slipping when tightened and I'm thinking the 3-way would be the safest bet.

I've got the 3-way and a ball head with the 283. Find both are excellent to use. Have no problems with slipping on either. Just a pity the handle sticks out of the case when the 3-way is fitted.

Back