Rediscovering my old Camcorder.

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
IMG_0133.JPG

IMG_0134.JPG

Just having a rummage at the back of the cupboard, where things go and get forgotten about. Trying to find a longer cable, and I rediscovering my old Camcorder.
I sort of forgot all about it, but I do recall I never really used it much.

I suppose the battery will probably no longer work, as Camcorder batteries always to seem to die pretty quick. I have got a power cable, to connect to the mains.
Going to try and and power it up, and do a video.

Just after a quick check and it seems the battery is not charging up, so I connected it to the mains outlet via the cable. Just done a few quick videos, and I think I recall why I stuck it at the back of the cupboard. All my Cameras do far superior video, and the Compacts are also far better in form factor, as they are so small and pocketable also.

Yes, I found my old tape cassette one, like yours it wouldn't charge the battery so I plugged it into mains, After a lot of googling I found a bit of software that would work with it and downloaded/copied the tapes we had to the computer as avi files. Technology eh?

My camcorder uses tape cassettes ...

I did have an older Camcorder than the one above, and that used Mini DV tapes. The image quality seem better on the older Camcorder, but the ribbon cable failed and was no longer usable.

I must admit, I have been looking at a used Sony FDR - X3000, as it is described as an action camera, so should be good for shakes and wobbles.

I still have my VHS-C Panasonic one, and two mini DV ones. I used one of the mini DV ones to capture the video from the VHS-C ones to my PC.

Kids are all growing up and no longer like use taking video of them when they are in the school play. May have to use it one last time and then sell them on as a lot of people are now digitising their old mini dv tapes.

I still have my VHS-C Panasonic one, and two mini DV ones. I used one of the mini DV ones to capture the video from the VHS-C ones to my PC.

Kids are all growing up and no longer like use taking video of them when they are in the school play. May have to use it one last time and then sell them on as a lot of people are now digitising their old mini dv tapes.

I still have a load of Mini DV tapes brand new and still sealed up. Not sure if I should keep them, just in case. Or I may possibly sell them off, along with all the other camera related stuff I no longer use.

I must admit, I have been looking at a used Sony FDR - X3000, as it is described as an action camera, so should be good for shakes and wobbles.
These are good I still have one I use once in a while.
The menu system is crude and battery life rather poor - use same batter as Rx100s so 3rd party spares are inexpensive.

These are good I still have one I use once in a while.
The menu system is crude and battery life rather poor - use same batter as Rx100s so 3rd party spares are inexpensive.

I was looking to see if I could pick one up cheap, but not too rushed as I am using the Canon G7X for video now, and that video is pretty good, but not very stable while walking.

A few weeks ago l came across my old Panasonic NV-DS77 camcorder, it must have been in the cupboard well over 15years untouched. I never thought the batteries would be any good but they charged and held their charge and the camcorder worked fine. I put it on ebay with a starting bid of £25 not expecting to even get that but it ran away to just under £100, I was amazed and slightly embarrassed to take the money if I'm honest.

A few weeks ago l came across my old Panasonic NV-DS77 camcorder, it must have been in the cupboard well over 15years untouched. I never thought the batteries would be any good but they charged and held their charge and the camcorder worked fine. I put it on ebay with a starting bid of £25 not expecting to even get that but it ran away to just under £100, I was amazed and slightly embarrassed to take the money if I'm honest.

Don't suppose it is worth selling mine, as the battery is not charging. It works via the mains cable. But there again the image quality is not the best.

I am following this thread with interest as I have just unearthed my Sony Hi8 Handycam CCD-TRV67E from it's resting place for the last xx years! Currently on charge which the battery appears to be taking. No matter if it doesn't as I can get a replacement for £11. Have also got 2 x 90min Hi8 tapes to go with it and just need to transfer the contents to the pooter to see what is on them.

You may be surprised at what it will fetch. As long as you describe it honestly what have you got to loose?

I don't use auction sites, and I don't fancy people asking for refunds. Last time I used an auction site that happened, as people sometimes use an item, then ask for a refund. Happened to me a few times, when people asked for a refund, and a refund on postage. I ended up being out of pocket, so decided no never use auctions sites again.

I know I could try and sell it on here, but it would be hard work selling on here.

I am following this thread with interest as I have just unearthed my Sony Hi8 Handycam CCD-TRV67E from it's resting place for the last xx years! Currently on charge which the battery appears to be taking. No matter if it doesn't as I can get a replacement for £11. Have also got 2 x 90min Hi8 tapes to go with it and just need to transfer the contents to the pooter to see what is on them.

I must admit, Camcorders do have a certain something about them. Not sure if it is just nostalgia, or if Camcorders really do have an edge.
I always wanted something like the Canon XH-A1s Professional Camcorder Digital MiniDV Camera. There is one going for sale on an auction site now, it is just under £200 with half an hour to go.

Trouble is, Mini DV is slow to get onto the PC for editing, then having to convert from AVI.

I still have a load of Mini DV tapes brand new and still sealed up. Not sure if I should keep them, just in case. Or I may possibly sell them off, along with all the other camera related stuff I no longer use.
Not sure people want tapes, but a working camcorder can be sold as in lock down people have been digitising their old memories.

I don't use auction sites, and I don't fancy people asking for refunds. Last time I used an auction site that happened, as people sometimes use an item, then ask for a refund. Happened to me a few times, when people asked for a refund, and a refund on postage. I ended up being out of pocket, so decided no never use auctions sites again.

I know I could try and sell it on here, but it would be hard work selling on here.
That was the first thing I've ever sold on ebay. 95% of everything I've ever sold has been on gumtree and never had one problem and met some very interesting people.

Not sure people want tapes, but a working camcorder can be sold as in lock down people have been digitising their old memories.

I will just keep them, and if I stumble upon a Mini DV camcorder, I just may have a dabble.

That was the first thing I've ever sold on ebay. 95% of everything I've ever sold has been on gumtree and never had one problem and met some very interesting people.
But I always seem to get the pains in the A**es.

I remember I once listed a rack and carrier for a Kawasaki ZZR1100. The person who won the bid, turned up on a Kawasaki ZZR600.
Obviously the rack did not fit, he then complained and refused to buy it. I felt like wrapping it around his head, I would have done had he not been wearing a lid.

Last edited:
Ahh, I see what you mean. As a way of getting their old stuff off the tapes.

I must admit, Camcorders do have a certain something about them. Not sure if it is just nostalgia, or if Camcorders really do have an edge.
I always wanted something like the Canon XH-A1s Professional Camcorder Digital MiniDV Camera. There is one going for sale on an auction site now, it is just under £200 with half an hour to go.

Trouble is, Mini DV is slow to get onto the PC for editing, then having to convert from AVI.

Finally went for £241.00 not a bad price, considering what it would have cost new.

There is a bit of trend for these old camcorders and their retro look. I found mine recently during a gear tidy-up. Can't bring myself to part with it :)

Back